Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

7 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 08:00

Inspiron 3679, 2016 WD My Passport Ultra, freezes

My 2016 WD Passport Ultra external hard drive freezes my Dell Inspiron 3679 computer, SOMETIMES, whenever I try to access files on the My Passport. This only happen every couple of days. When I unplug the external drive and plug it back in everything is OK, for a couple of days. I have run every imaginable test on the external drive and it shows no problems. I have tried every USB port on the Inspiron and have the same problem. I have deleted and reloaded the USB drivers at Device Manager.

All other USB devices connected to the Inspiron work OK including a WD My Book. When I connect the My Passport to an older Dell XPS computer there are no freezing problems.

2.5K Posts

no PC stated, Dell Inspiron computer xxxxxxx, that name is back to 2007, and back to 1995 first ever named.

surely you can give the model number. surely.

no model number exact of hDD external it does have a model stamp there ,

power on,  hit f2 see info page for what PC you own.  in BIOS pages then tell that please.

the word My Passport means nothing to me,  they have many versions of this drive.

It is like saying I drive a Toyota..  zero useful..

now you learned that external HDD use lots of current from 1 to 2 amps just to startup the motor.

if you use your ear to the case when it fails and motor is now silent, then it can not GET FULL POWER NEEDED from many weak USB ports and there is no LACK of that in the PC world for sure older PCs.

NO PC told so how can anyone help.

a USB port must have sleep turned  OFF For this to work , you do know that right?

the larger size Drives need more current to start up huge platters inside (MASS huge)

2.5" WD hdd, startup currents are 1.1amps peak (motor start) so 5vdc,  so is 5.5watts if  your PC , any PC can not  do that current level at 5.5watt it will fail.

ALSO learn that DELL PCs have  from 4 to 6 USB ports wired to one Vbus chip so make sure the other ports are EMPTY, like put keyboard an mouse on rear, and hdd on front USB to that port has full power on tap.

have proof can demo it.

A USB port many have marginal power, so one day it works then next not, ( on the cusp of working)\

my passport, I guess, this?  4TB?

WDBYFT0040BBL-WESN

the cure is simple. kinda

a USB-3.1 card, installed with over 2 amp spec vbus chip on board.

or USB-C with high power port option with $1 adaptor (tiny) to USB3.

or a powered hub, with 2amp ports not passive hubs ever  (cheap junk = passive)

I make my own external chassis HDD< using case with uses  a real 2amp or more POWER PACK. ask. easy.

then I can run any hdd or ssd in the case I WANT, now and forever.

I just answered this last week on Seagate drive just like yours and his PC USB port could not start up the 1amp motor in the Seagate inside,  or only some times.

SEE???? AMPS MATTER< no AMPS NO GO.

motors use lots of current and is a steep fast ramp too. many Vbus chips see that and go to roollback mode.

some do 500mA

others do 900mA , 100mA shy of working on seagates. (aka, MARGINAL )

others do 2amps 10 watts and even more,  if you buy a real USB card that is, or newer PC.

I posted 3 to 4 solutions here,  a powered hub is supper easy to buy here. (above 0.9amps !) 2amps best.

if you see no power pack for hub it is useless for you.

4amp hub here.

2.5K Posts

now the freeze

when a USB device overloads the Vbus. (vbus is the USB power supply chip)

the PC can freeze

some poor PCs reboot. (even some old dells)

some just report it. (better PCs)

the Best VBUS chips must roll back current, and the USB port goes dead, and the chip tells the PC I just went off line. some PCs do this right others go DUMB. or dumber. (reboot)

so is only a side show this, the problem is the overload. and caused by you. (and MR WD)

5.6K Posts

Maybe it is drawing slightly bit more current than the USB port can provide. If there is an external AC adapter that came with it, I would use it.

7 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 09:00

The products are --- Dell Inspiron 3679 purchased in 2018 and  Western Digital My Passport Ultra WDBZFP00100BBK-NESN, purchased in 1916

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2020 11:00

@tcreek wrote:

The products are --- Dell Inspiron 3679 purchased in 2018 and  Western Digital My Passport Ultra WDBZFP00100BBK-NESN, purchased in 1916

5.6K Posts

April 3rd, 2020 07:00

The part number is actually WDBZFP0010BBK

Looks like a newer version of a Western Digital My Passport Ultra that I own except I have a WDBMWV0020BBK . Never had problems with mine. I use it on three (3) different Optiplex 3020 and a Latitude E6230.

65 Posts

April 4th, 2020 17:00

Given the age of the drive I'm going with the possibility that the drive may be showing signs of failure.  I see you ran the WD diagnostic utilities but just because those gave you a clean bill of health doesn't always mean the drive doesn't have problems.  Is this the only computer that drive is used on since you've had it for 4 years and you said you bought the computer in 2018?  Typically a mechanical drive can lost between 3-6 years and yours is right in the middle of that some fizzle out sooner, some of lasted for a decade or more.  When the freezing occurs do you hear any strange noises coming from the drive?  Excessive whining, clicking, grinding or other repeating noises can mean the drive is on it's way out.  Since you have tried all the USB ports and it still does it the only other thing it could be besides the drive is the cable.  The trick is the cables that typically come with those drives have a special end that's meant for those external enclosures the drive is in so you would have to contact WD or if you have another external drive swap cables.  

Just for future reference for the admins or anyone else that asked about the AC adapter the WD password line are USB powered drives they come with a 2.5" laptop drive inside.  The MyBook, My Cloud, etc are the ones that have 3.5" desktop hard drives and typically require external power.  

No Events found!