Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 00:00

Inspiron 3847 Desktop - "Dell Wireless 1705 Bluetooth" not working

Hi,

I have been having a problem with my bluetooth. I have an Inspiron 3847 Desktop using Bluetooth "Dell Wireless 1705 Bluetooth".

Current situation:

I have been using a bluetooth speaker all along and all of a sudden, my bluetooth fails to neither scan for any devices nor to connect to a paired device.The only thing I can do to make it work is to restart my computer each time which means I have to boot up my computer twice every time I use it.

Remedies taken:

1. Check for updates

2. Reinstall the bluetooth drivers

3. Troubleshoot the the bluetooth, and it says radio issue was detected and fixed. However, bluetooth still does not work.

4. Manually stop bluetooth device through "Service", the "Bluetooth Support Service" is already set as "Auto Startup"

5. Reinstall my anti-virus software just in case it was the reason causing it.

I also check my bluetooth speaker by connecting to my phone and it works. The drivers for my speaker are up-to-date.

Hoping, someone can lend a hand here. Thanks so much!

Kevin

• 

25K Posts

August 22nd, 2020 18:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 22nd, 2020 19:00

Always include version of Windows in your posts. And if this is Win 10, did you recently update to v2004?

Next time BT doesn't scan or connect, open Device Manager and on toolbar select View>Show hidden devices. Now expand list under BT and see if your 1705 BT is listed and then check its Device status.

If 1705 BT has a ! next to it in Device Manager, and/or there's an "Unknown" device listed anywhere in Device Manager, right-click and uninstall that device. Then on toolbar select Action>Scan for hardware changes.

If that doesn't fix it, try this:
Open Device Manager and expand list under USB. Double-click each USB entry and click its Power Management tab, if it has one. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all USB entries with a Power Management tab.

Now expand list under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager and uncheck that same box for any HID entry that has a Power Management tab. Exit Device Manager when done.

Next, open the Windows Power & Sleep screen. Click Additional Power Settings. On next screen identify the active Power plan and click Change Plan Settings. On next screen, click Change Advanced Power Settings.

On that last screen, disable Hibernation, Hybrid Sleep, USB Selective Suspend, and PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the Power plan and reboot.

3 Posts

August 25th, 2020 06:00

Hi there Ron,

Thanks for your advice

To reply to your advice, my win 10 is already updated to v2004.

And, after taken all the steps you advised, the problem still exists.

Kevin

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 25th, 2020 11:00

@Kevin0911 -  I can't rule out a BT issue with Win 10 v2004. The 1705 BT driver on Dell's site is from 2016 so it's possible there's a conflict with v2004.

Unless somebody has a better idea, you may want to consider disabling 1705 BT in Device Manager and plugging in a USB>BT dongle...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 25th, 2020 17:00

It appears that the Inspiron 3847 is not on Dell's list of systems validated for Win 10 v2004.

And there's no updated driver. Read this thread...

So I guess your alternatives are a USB>BT dongle, unless somebody decides to release a new driver for 1705 BT. Or, revert to Win 10 v1909.

EDIT: Or replace the internal WiFi+BT card with something compatible with Win 10 v2004 and offers 802.11 ac so you can use 5 GHz, assuming your router supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

3 Posts

August 26th, 2020 08:00

Thanks for your help. Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 26th, 2020 10:00

You're welcome... T

Too bad this model isn't being supported for Win 10 v2004. A USB>BT dongle that supports v2004 will be the easiest solution.

December 9th, 2020 05:00

My bluetooth stopped working with the latest Windows 10 version as well.  Changing the driver manually got it to work for me.  I search the Windows update catalog using "https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=dell+1705" and then download the latest 1705 driver described as "Qualcomm Atheros Communications driver update for Dell Wireless 1705 Bluetooth" version 10.0.1.12.   The download was the file 200042654_d3350511499c0fdd99e32ad47f125ffc1ae95172.cab.  I unpacked the file using 7-Zip.  I then installed the driver by right clicking on the file "qca_btusb.inf".  After that I went to device manager and updated the driver for the bluetooth device using the "Browse my computer for drivers" option.  When using this option, select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" and then select the "Dell Wireless 1705 Bluetooth Version 10.0.1.12 [10/19/2016]" driver.

No Events found!