Highlighted
MurrayMelander
1 Nickel

Inspiron 3847, Installing SSD instructions

I'd like to install a SSD, around 250 GB size, in my Inspiron 3847. Making it the boot drive instead of the stock 1TB SATA3 drive. I have Windows 10 Home as my operating system. Is it as simple as just plugging it in and format it as bootable, and then going into the BIOS and change the Boot order?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Inspiron 3847, Installing SSD instructions

The 2013 Inspiron 3847 never shipped with SATA3 SSD so you are in non-tested waters. Here are the Inspiron 3847 manuals. You are going to have to search for a way to mount the 2.5" SATA3 SSD. You might need to get a 3rd party 3.5" to 2.5" HDD caddy. The SSD would need to be formatted using the same parameters as the 1TB SATA3 drive. So check the current BIOS settings =
Advanced- Onboard Device Configuration- SATA Mode- AHCI
Boot- Secure Boot- Enabled
Boot- Boot Mode- UEFI
Boot- Boot Device order
Boot- Hard Disk Drivers- Boot Device order

For my notes, send me via Private Message the PC service tag number.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

@MurrayMelanderwrote:

1. I'd like to install a SSD, around 250 GB size, in my Inspiron 3847. Making it the boot drive instead of the stock 1TB SATA3 drive. I have Windows 10 Home as my operating system.

2. Is it as simple as just plugging it in and format it as bootable,

3. and then going into the BIOS and change the Boot order?

1. Should be fine

2. If the machine is in UEFI mode, I would say closer to this: 

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/m-p/6073037#M3399

In UEFI mode, it seems the process of installing Windows (either clean or overlaid) is one way to get the "Windows Boot Manager" properly configured. On Dells, you also have the one-time F12 Boot Menu at your disposal. 

3. I suppose, but only if in Legacy-Mode.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Easiest way is to clone the drive using a SATA Wire and then mount into a Silverstone Adapter.

Done.  You set UEFI Secure Boot OFF and CSM ON then F12 Boot the Apricorn CD and clone the internal drive to external.  Then Swap.

https://www.apricorn.com/upgrades/sata-wire-3

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-SDP09-2-5-Inch-3-5-Inch-Hot-Swappable/dp/B0049MPQDG/

This is a been there done that on a 3847.

Works fine.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro