Irishman02191
1 Nickel

Inspiron 3847, May 2019 update, wont boot up after install

Hello Everyone,
I was waiting for the new May 2019 Update from Windows 10. They had a Update assistant and I thought if there was anything that did not work or not correct it would now allow my computer to be upgraded. I read about the issued with a external USB device attached so I just disconnected my external HD.

Now I tried to start the computer after installation. The computer got past the dell splash screen then hung with the spinning dots. I shut the power off and tried to start again except pressing the F2 key. I got the bios and reset it to load factory settings. I exited and tried to restart again. Nothing. I clicked F12 and got the recovery options. I went in to advanced options and went to safe mode. It started in safe mode and afterwards I had the computer do a normal restart and it came up after being in safe mode.

I also tried a in place upgrade to win 10 with the same May 2019 media creation tool. Everything installed with no problems but the same boot issue. Any suggestions?

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Irishman02191
1 Nickel

Re: May 2019 Win Update, My I3847 Wont Boot up After Install

Service Code <Service Tag removed> Inspiron 3847

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

For starters, reboot and press F2 to go into BIOS setup. Disable Secure Boot. Save the change and exit setup.

See if that helps...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Irishman02191
1 Nickel

Hello, I went to BIOS and reset to factory settings and that seemed todo the trick. Also I posted this issue on a MS community post and here is the link, the steps helped and this is now resolved.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/may-2019-update-wont-bo...

0 Kudos