Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 10th, 2019 13:00

Inspiron 3847, recovery partition?

Is the Recovery partition the same as a System Reserved partition?

7 Posts

March 13th, 2019 11:00

By using Macrium, I found that the Recovery and OS partitions on my HDD are both needed to create an image which can be used to restore Windows.

Windows backup-restore partitions.jpg

My conclusion is that the Recovery partition contains the function of a System Reserve partition (which is not a partition on my HDD).

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 10th, 2019 13:00

No those are 2 diff partitions. Why do you want to know? Some partitions are hidden from view. Neither one of those partitions can be directly accessed by the user.

7 Posts

March 10th, 2019 14:00

All my research on the Internet indicates there should be System Reserved partition which is used when starting the computer (i.e. booting). My computer does not have a System Reserved partition.

Computer Management window shows the following partitions for the HDD

OEM, Recovery, OS (C:), plus a NCW (D:) which I created.

So, why would there not be a System Reserved partition?

I am trying to learn.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 11th, 2019 05:00

The system reserved portion is EXTREMELY Tiny and not optional.  Otherwise called MSR  Microsoft System Reserved.

With windows 7 there are 3 partitions.  With windows 10 there are 4.

MSR / RECOVERY / SYSTEM /DATA

128 meg

549 meg

100 meg

The rest of the drive aka 930 gig on a 1TB drive.

PartitionsPartitions

7 Posts

March 11th, 2019 07:00

So, the System Reserved partition is small. That is what is documented in all placed I researched on the Internet. The questions is -- why is there no System Reserve partition on my HDD????? This is a Dell Inspiron 3847 with Windows 7 (factory installed).

Disk Management shows only four partitions - OEM 39MB, Recovery 11.73GB, OS 240GB, personal partition = NCW 679.74GBDisk Management - HDD partitions.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 11th, 2019 08:00

The Microsoft® reserved partition (MSR) does not contain a partition ID therefore, neither Windows Disk Management nor explorer can display it. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

Its not something users write to ever and its only 16 megabytes to 128 megabytes.  Its not something a drive letter can be assigned to.

Megs not GIGS The Microsoft Reserved Partition is not actually a partition. It's just reserved space on the disk.

Each version of windows makes the MSR and Recovery bigger and bigger.

Windows 7 recovery is 100 megs.

Windows 8 recovery is 350 megs

Windows 10 recovery is 550 megs

7 Posts

March 12th, 2019 07:00

Actually, the Microsoft Reserved Partition is a partition. It does not have a name or drive letter and therefore does not show via Windows Explorer. Disk Management does show all partitions on a disk. Other computer manufactures have the Microsoft Reserved Partition. Dell, for some reason does not have a MRP.

I ask - Why does my Dell not have a MRP and is its function embedded in the Recovery partition?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 12th, 2019 08:00

Incorrect.

Disk Management and Windows Explorer do not show it.

"Microsoft Reserved Partition". Windows GPT FAQ.

Windows SETUP does.  DISKPART does.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/diskpart

DISKPART> list partition

Partition #  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Reserved           128 MB   64 KB
  Partition 2    Primary           1919 MB   128 MB

Disk Partitioning Offset
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/amitjet/archive/2009/04/17/disk-partitioning-offset.aspx

MSR = Microsoft Reserved

The GPT label for this partition type is

E3C9E316-0B5C-4DB8-817D-F92DF00215AE

Disk size  vs                  MSR size
Less than 16 GB           =    32 MB
Greater than 16 GB       =   128 MB

Beginning in Windows 10, the minimum size of the MSR is 16 MB which the installer allocates by default.

The MSR should be located after the EFI System Partition (ESP) and any OEM service partitions, but it must be located before any primary partitions of bootable Windows operating systems. Microsoft requires an MSR to be present on every GPT disk, and recommends it to be created as the disk is initially partitioned. The MSR partition is not visible within the Microsoft Windows Disk Management control utility or explorer, but it is listed (as "Reserved") with the Microsoft Diskpart command line utility and windows SETUP. On bootable disks for UEFI systems, the MSR is generally the second part just after the first small partition displayed as "System" (about 100 MB , and containing a FAT32 filesystem, to store the UEFI boot data), before other partitions for the actual main partition Windows.

PartitionsPartitions

Partition Unique Identifier Description

Windows Recoveryde94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6acThere may be more than one Recovery Partitions:
Windows RE Tools
- Provides the 'Startup Repair' options for Windows recovery.
Recovery Image - There may also be an additional manufacturer system recovery partition.

EFI System partition (ESP)

c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93bAlways formatted FAT32 and between 200 and 550 MB in size, this partition contains the boot loader that runs when the system starts. The critical files in here are the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) and the EFI micro-code.
Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR)e3c9e316-0b5c-4db8-817d-f92df00215aeUsually 128 MB in size, this unformatted partition is reserved for MS data structures including the Logical Disk Manager (LDM) for dynamic disks. Every GPT disk initialized by Windows includes this partition.
Operating System (Windows C:)ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7Always formatted using NTFS, this partition contains the full Windows Operating System and is loaded using the BCD in the ESP,

7 Posts

March 12th, 2019 10:00

My computer does not have a System Reserve Partition.

My 03-11-2019 07:29 AM post above shows Disk Management - disk 0 has 4 partitions

Diskpart on my computer show the same set of partitions:

diskpart - HDD partitions.jpg

So, no System Reserved partition shown on either.

Question - Is the function of the System Reserve partition contained within the Recovery Partition or where is it? Why is my Dell different?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 12th, 2019 11:00

You still haven't told us why this is an issue. If the system is working normally, stop worrying about it.

And you can always clone the entire hard drive today using Macrium Reflect (free version) if you're afraid the hard drive might die or you might need to reinstall Windows on this drive...  :Idea:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 12th, 2019 19:00

@Ncw1452 wrote:

My computer does not have a System Reserve Partition.

On these old systems (I'm thinking non-UEFI), if Dell (or any manufacturer) wrote an OEM/Diagnostic partition at the beginning of the drive , then Windows does NOT create a "System Reserved Partition".

You can read about it here (Partitions):

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/1-How-to-Clean-install-Windows-7-64-bit-on-Alienware-Desktop/td-p/5588705

Notice it also says "Since lower Home versions don't use Windows "System Reserved" partition  " 

7 Posts

March 12th, 2019 20:00

This post was a request for information. It was not a problem. The request:

Since there is no System Reserve Partition on my HDD (as shown above), does the Recovery Partition contain the function the System Reserve Partition?

If it is not valid to ask questions on this forum, then maybe the moderator could let me know please.

If nobody knows the answer, then that is okay. I would not think that my Dell would be different than others (Inspiron 3847 with Windows 7 factory installed).

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 13th, 2019 07:00

32-bit versions of windows will see only the Protective MBR. The EE partition will not be mounted or otherwise exposed to application software.

Diskpart will show a bit differently for GPT disks vs Legacy MBR.

You ARE NOT using Windows 8.0 or 8.1 or 10 or UEFI

You ARE USING Windows 7 SP1, Build 6.1.7601

MSR Showing on GPT DISKMSR Showing on GPT DISK

GPT DISKGPT DISK

• Systems that support UEFI require that boot partition must reside on a GPT disk. Other hard disks can be either MBR or GPT.
  • Both MBR and GPT disks can be present in a single dynamic disk group. Volume sets can span both MBR and GPT disks.

UEFI is either there or not.

Legacy Only supports MBR.

No Events found!