Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

13 Posts

January 15th, 2020 11:00

Inspiron 3847, sound card?

Im getting a lot of static coming from my speakers and sound card, and just replaced my speakers. I hear a lot of it when i roll my mouse wheel. Id like to replace the sound card somehow. What's compatible with the 3847?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 15th, 2020 12:00

Do you actually have an add-in PCIe x1 sound card? This model comes with Intel 5.1 channel HD Audio which is integrated on the CPU chip, not an add-in sound card.

Have you tried a different mouse and/or a different rear USB2 port?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 15th, 2020 14:00

Check the Sound "Input" device (used to be called Recording Device in older Windows).  Stereo Mix should be set as Input device.   

65 Posts

January 15th, 2020 16:00

If the motherboard has expansion slots the OP should be able to put a PCI or PCIe sound card in it the question is do they even make them anymore?  the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Line and the Turtle Beach DSP sound cards used to be the big guys in town but I haven't seen much out of Creative and as for Turtle Beach it looks like they have stuck to just making gaming headsets and other related accessories.  If the suggestions the others have tried don't fix it and you go for the sound card fix just find out how to disable the on board sound should be in the BIOS or some boards will do it automatically when it detects one installed.  You will not be able to use the front panel audio jacks with the new card but the rest of your front ports USB, SD card reader, etc will remain intact.  Does the computer have any available front bays?  I'm asking this because some sound cards have an add in board that goes in one of those bays and that replaces your front panel audio as well as gives you controls for tweaking the EQ settings and so on.  

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 16th, 2020 08:00

Dell never tested a discrete add in sound card in this model. The online Inspiron 3847 Owner’s Manual shows us that the motherboard has two PCIe x1 slots, but no PCI slots. So in theory, any PCIe x1 might work.

* Restart the Inspiron 3847
* Press F2 to enter the BIOS
* Go to Advanced
* Go to Onboard Device Configuration
* Disable Onboard Audio Controller
* Press F10 to Save and Exit
* Allow the Inspiron 3847 to reboot into Windows
* Turn the Inspiron 3847 off
* Disconnect the power cable from the Inspiron 3847
* Open the case cover and install the PCIe x1 sound card
* Close the case cover
* Reconnect the power cable to the Inspiron 3847
* Power on
* Once into Windows, install the PCIe x1 sound card driver
* Restart Windows when done

13 Posts

January 16th, 2020 08:00

where do i find that?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 16th, 2020 10:00

Best way around this is to turn internal sound off and use USB Sound.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-70SB173000000-Sound-Blaster/dp/B06XBZ38ZJ/

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 30th, 2020 10:00

13 Posts

January 30th, 2020 10:00

yeah ive asked around on amazon also and people have used this sound card in this machine with good results too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EO6X4XG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

No Events found!