Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

33 Posts

March 14th, 2020 19:00

Inspiron 530, won't post now? :(

It has been acting up for a year & progressively getting worse. I'm running win10 upgrade from win7 not that it matters. Also iirc 3 hdd w/2 setup as a raid array & computer has operated great for 10+yrs! I noticed it started losing time, also started hanging on restarts & had to restart repeatedly sometimes & then it got worse! I had to reset date/time & boot priority so I finally replaced the mb battery a couple months ago which seemed to work but then it started just dropping/turning off usually while playing Microsoft solitaire which I'v used/played for years but then it just started hanging at bootup f2/f12 & it seemed if you merely entered bios it would boot to Windows fine until last night. I could hardly get into bios but when I finally did & saw all settings ok & left it still wouldn't boot into Windows? After a 6-7 session of on/offs it wouldn't even do anything just the fan on at high speed? Any suggestions? One side note, a few weeks ago I was swapping my dvi cable with another computer to mess around & did reconnect to this 530 with an ati pci-e card & seems I may have cooked that part of card, even tried reseating card but had to go back to vga to work.

33 Posts

March 14th, 2020 22:00

I just tried reseating graphics card, both memory sticks, main power connector to motherboard & held power button for 30 seconds-no change! No beep just the fan running full speed? Oh I don't have raid on this machine, just 1 hdd & I'm running a cd/DVDs player on the other sata

2.5K Posts

March 15th, 2020 09:00

it has been acting up for a year & progressively getting worse.

well no RTC coin cell on earth lasts the this long , 13 year old PC it is and NEW COIN IS FIRST(endless answer here by me and 1000s of others. )

I'm running win10 upgrade from win7 not that it matters. (OS does not matter, wow)

(sure does  w10 hates PC this old for sure wrong CPU there and G33 and RST ,) and the 3100 HD IGPU has no real support. (just a limphome video deal from MS)

Also iirc 3 hdd w/2 setup as a raid array & computer has operated great for 10+yrs! (w7 is now gone for get that and your 10 years of w7)

NO w10 is not 10 years old, and upgrading and expecting RST support you failed. (as ALL do below H110 chipset blues)

the RST support is ends below series 100 yours is G33  series 30 way way down the dead list you are.

BLAME intel if you need a pounding post and they deserve it.. (i chop wood and do that)

(know that dell nor MS nor  intel support this RST RAID chip here, learn that and know that first.

YES THE SATA lean version works only if you turn off the BIOS RST SWITCH!

I noticed it started losing time,THE BATTERY IS DEAD no battery lasts 13 years, not one.

all the below is bad battery no need to say more, ever the NVRAM scrambles on all PCs this old after 7 years even and endless mindless CHAOS ensues.. no need to tell CHAOS at all.

also started hanging on restarts & had to restart repeatedly sometimes & then it got worse! I had to reset date/time & boot priority so I finally replaced the mb battery a couple months ago which seemed to work but then it started just dropping/turning off usually while playing Microsoft solitaire which I'v used/played for years but then it just started hanging at bootup f2/f12 & it seemed if you merely entered bios it would boot to Windows fine until last night. I could hardly get into bios but when I finally did & saw all settings ok & left it still wouldn't boot into Windows? After a 6-7 session of on/offs it wouldn't even do anything just the fan on at high speed? Any suggestions? One side note, a few weeks ago I was swapping my dvi cable with another computer to mess around & did reconnect to this 530 with an ati pci-e card & seems I may have cooked that part of card, even tried reseating card but had to go back to vga to work.

DO NOT HOT PLUG ANYTHING INSIDE ANY PC< ok..? or blow things up, unplug the wall AC cable

push power button 3 times until all fans stop  twitching and all LED go dead, not winking etc

ok the best fix for this old lame PC is what...? easy peasy lemon squeezy.....

• new coin cell, and forget RAID RST forget it. spend a whopping $1 oops all stores nothing on shelves here.
  • turn off RST in BIOS or pure H3LL to pay. turn it OFF ok>? F2 BIOS settings 1.. turn off PXE next...
  • new SSD drive, forget HDD.. slow, old or fails smart as all do this old.
  • load w10, now that your already activated it knows that at MS and you win that. good..
  • now if you really need raid add disks now and use MS RAID,  google , MS storage spaces and read
  • BINGO? 
  • learn 2 things, as a tech, coin cell die at 7 years, hDd 5 and never hot plug PC guts.. and not blow up parts

2.5K Posts

March 15th, 2020 09:00

time and or date wrong for a year,  battery dead.. this is why they called it RTC coin cell real time clock calendar..

BIOS setting get lost.. (NVram scrambles every time wall AC power lost bingo battery bad..

Battery dead

BIOS will not find bootable media, battery dead.

BIOS acts totally nutz ,l battery dead./.

and more  CHAOS is endless, no need to list 100 more things not me. for sure NVRAM, gone MAD.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 15th, 2020 11:00

Reseating things will not fix a physically bad hard drive.

Remove data cable from the hard drive and unplug and press power button to discharge

Then plug back in and see if there is an error about the hard drive.

33 Posts

March 16th, 2020 23:00

I checked voltages on p/s 24 pin molex & all ok except #14 the -12v which was -15.62v should be -10.8 to -13.2 so not sure about that? I then remembered I kinda screwed up the rtc battery holder on m/b when 1st removing:( I really pryed a lot (stupid) so I tried bending the tabs for contact but unsure cause I fired it up with just vga & keyboard but no go:( Will a computer boot to the f2/f12 prompt even without an rtc battery installed?

33 Posts

March 17th, 2020 12:00

So I just tried booting barebones, no hdd & memory removed but no change other than the 2 beeps that repeat. Then tried with memory installed, still nothing just the fans, Any ideas/suggestions?

33 Posts

March 18th, 2020 12:00

I was hoping savvy2 or another might direct me since my latest tests/posts above. I'm wondering why it seems it won't boot to bios even with everything disconnected? The only thing I did leave hooked up was the little pci network card.

No Events found!