Highlighted
Cianmc1
1 Copper

Inspiron 530s, CPU upgrade

Hi I have a pretty old computer that I'm looking to make a few upgrades to and I'm just curious to know what's the best possible cpu I can upgrade to? The current motherboard is a foxconn G33M02. Or else if I'm better off upgrading my motherboard could someone give me a list of motherboards compatible with the current case? 

Thanks, 

Cian

0 Kudos
2 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: Best processor upgrade for dell inspiron 530s

Both the Dell case and motherboard are proprietary.  Thus the motherboard will not fit/work in a standard case and same a standard motherboard will not fit in the Dell case. 

To be blunt, considering the age and hardware in the 530S, you would be better off spending $$ on either building a new PC or buying a new PC.  The "S" cases have limited air flow compared to a full size case and thus upgrading may add too much heat.  The power supply is a TFX style and they are limited in wattage and may not support an upgraded CPU.  

I'm sure someone has probably upgraded the CPU in theirs but I don't recommend it. After you spend $$ upgrading you will still have the old hardware and be limited in speed to the memory bus, e.g. a faster CPU will not speed up the memory bus or the compatible memory. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos

Re: Best processor upgrade for dell inspiron 530s

Dell never tested 3rd party motherboards. If you decide to upgrade on our motherboard;

* Best validated CPUs =
N652J Q9650 3.00GHz Yorkfield
N650J Q9500 2.66GHz Yorkfield
N650J Q9400 2.66GHz Yorkfield
C863D QX9300 2.50GHz Yorkfield

* Max ram =
8GB (2x2GB) 667/800 MHz DDR2 (Quad Core CPUs)

* Best validated video card =
F342F ATI Radeon HD3450

0 Kudos