Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

23 Posts

February 2nd, 2019 05:00

Inspiron 560, what card will enable bluetooth?

I have a Inspiron 560 desktop and want to enable bluetooth so I can connect a bluetooth headset to make skype calls. The desktop is connected to internet and wifi router using CAT5 ethernet cable, so I do not need wifi.

What internal card should I purchase... Do I also need an antenna? Looking for a simple and inexpensive solution.

Will this product work? "Dell Inspiron 15-5558 WIRELESS WIFI BLUETOOTH CARD 3160NGW N2VFR 0N2VFR"

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 2nd, 2019 05:00

What about the following card. I used this card on my homebuilt and it works like a charm. The external antenna gives great reception at increased range and it is 802.11ac. The Bluetooth works very well also at a decent range. My desktop is on the second floor on the other side of the house and connects to my Cell phone on the other side of the house and down a floor.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320333

23 Posts

February 2nd, 2019 09:00

@JOcean My Inspiron 560 desktop is directly connected to the internet and Wifi router via CAT5 ethernet cable.

I just want to connect my bluetooth headphones to my desktop via an internal card (because of so many negative reviews of USB BT dongles on amazon).

Your recommendation is rather expensive and more than my needs.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 2nd, 2019 12:00

Just remember, peeps mostly just post complaints on Amazon. So you might not want to take all their comments too seriously and YRMV. :Wink:

23 Posts

February 2nd, 2019 13:00

@RoHe when a product has close to, or greater than 10% of its reviews with a one-star rating, that gives me pause. will an internal card work and does it need an antenna also? I don't need wifi, just want to connect bluetooth headphones to make skype calls from my inspiron 560 desktop.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 2nd, 2019 13:00

Agreed but I learned long ago that satisfied users rarely post and anyone with any problem is more than happy to criticize. I am going more by personal experience as I actually have that card and it is rock solid with great operation. But I did misundertand by thinking you needed wifi as well..sorry for that.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 2nd, 2019 16:00

A PCI-e x1 combo card should work, as long as it supports your version of Windows. It's probably going to be hard/unlikely to find a PCI-e x1 card that's only BT.

A quick glance at Amazon shows quite a few USB BT dongles with 4 or more star ratings, so I don't know why you say "because of so many negative reviews of USB BT dongles on amazon." Focus on the ones with 4+ stars. :Wink:

23 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 13:00

@RoHe I thought there would be a simple solution - an inexpensive internal card designed to upgrade Dell desktops that I could purchase and slip in, but apparently not  :(

I have Windows 7.

There are marketing companies and schemers who specialize in flooding amazon with 5 star reviews. It is not to say they are all fake, but I believe a more accurate picture is to click on All Reviews and then look at the shape of the bar graph of 1,2,3,4,5 star reviews. if the 1-star is 'fat', more than 10% of total reviews, then I don't buy. Just my personal opinion :)

If there is no other solution, then I will just give in and buy one of the usb dongles on amazon.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 3rd, 2019 15:00

You can look around for yourself for a PCI-e x1 BT card, but I don't think you'll find any that isn't also WiFi. And you don't have to use the WiFi if you don't need it.

So you have to make a decision to take a risk on a BT dongle or take a risk on a WiFi+BT PCI-e card. Either way, Amazon should let you return it, if it doesn't work to your satisfaction. I've bought PC accessories etc rated 1- or 2-stars on Amazon and they have worked perfectly for me. So the complaints people post are just things to watch out for, but not necessarily a reason not to buy something. And there are always independent sites that review tech hardware.

Only you can decide what to do, but I guess not making any decision is also a decision. :Wink:

No Events found!