Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2018 05:00

Inspiron 560s, BIOS questions

Hello,

On my Inspiron 560s SupportAssist suggests two updates: A07 and A09 for the Bios.(present Bios is A06)

I use now Windows 10 which is not listed as possible operating system for this old model. However it works except problems when rebooting.

Following SupportAssist advice I tried several times to upgrade to A07 and get the message : "unsupported system". Does it mean that on this desktop I have to stick to A06? Why does SupportAssist propose more recent Bios?

Than you and regards

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

November 19th, 2018 06:00

If you go to the support page for your system, A06 is the most current. The reason you get an unsupported system is because the newer BIOS updates are not for your system. Don't take Dell SA as gospel. No matter what SA suggests, the support page will be the most current and the best authority for drivers, etc.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 19th, 2018 07:00

Dell Support Assist is obsolete and should be uninstalled... For Windows 10 one should use Dell Update Instead:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=HGDR1&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-13-9365-2-in-1-laptop

Your system is pretty old however and is not listed on the list of compatible system but you can give it a try... I got it working on an OptiPlex 790 which is also not supported... Note when launching Dell Update ensure to right click it and select Run as Administrator.

P.S. the latest BIOS Update here is A06:

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/inspiron-560.html

3 Posts

November 20th, 2018 05:00

Thank you very much for this clear answer.

Best regards

3 Posts

November 19th, 2018 05:00

Hello,

On my Inspiron 560s SupportAssist suggests two udates: A07 and A09 for the Bios.(present Bios is A06)

I use now Windows 10 which is not listed as possible operating system for this old model. However it works except problems when rebooting.

Following SupportAssist advice I tried several times to upgrade to A07 and get yhe message : "unsupported system". Does it mean that on this desktop I have to stick to A 06? Why does SupportAssist propose more recent Bios ?

Than you and regards

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 19th, 2018 06:00

Do not use the support assistant for updates.  We have seen many problems with the support assistant and even bricked computers because of failed/corrupted BIOS updates.  

Manually download the BIOS update or whatever update and install it yourself.  

One caution on the BIOS, as mentioned a failed/corrupted BIOS and the ONLY option is to replace the motherboard.  Only update the BIOS if it fixes a problem you have or supports new hardware that you want to install.  

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 19th, 2018 11:00

And don't double post the same problem...

No Events found!