Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

19 Posts

May 12th, 2018 11:00

Inspiron 5675, Radeon Settings Host Application, crash

I just bought this new Windows 10 PC Version 1803. problem is it's certified refurbished according to Amazon so it should be like new but without a warranty. So I need to fix my problems or send it back with a note saying it's dead Jim, it's a potato. It's got Ryzen 5 1400, 8GB DDR4, and a Radeon RX 570 4GB GDDR5. No tweaks, only a clean Windows factory install plus all current updates which Microsoft Forces on you because it's a critical update. My main problem now is that the Radeon Settings Host Application crashes or goes transparent and it not usable.

A reddit user suggested Unticking "enable gamedvr for fullscreen applications verified by microsoft" and says, "

If you have this problem where radeon host application crashes while opening crimson overlay, or when it tabs out to desktop while opening the overlay, the problem is probably caused by a "feature" introduced in windows 10 creators update, the "full screen optimization feature".

What this does is, it disables full screen mode and instead uses an altered borderless fullscreen mode, even when your game is set to work in fullscreen mode. This confuses some third party overlays, one of which is the crimson overlay. Sometimes it makes the game tab out to desktop, sometimes straight out crashes the radeon host application." 

I cannot untick it because I don't have that option anywhere under my Gaming DVR settings. 

Another thread suggested I try to disable it via registry settings ( I have no Xbox) That didnt work at all.

These are the Only two possible solutions I can find on the internet. Can anyone help? Thanks. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 12th, 2018 11:00

@DivergentDroidwrote:

1. a note saying it's dead Jim, it's a potato.

2. It's got Ryzen 5 1400 (8 gigs ddr4) and a Radeon Rx 570 (4 gigs gddr5).

1. I'm a doctor, not a computer technician. :Smile:

2. Sounds fine.

Uninstall all AMD video drivers and reboot.

See what Windows-10 tosses you and run with those for a while.

If you don't like it, grab some newer ones from AMD.com . Yeah, I suggest you keep the DVR and other enhanced features off until normal stuff is working.

You might need this if you have trouble:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

May 12th, 2018 15:00

I do see AMD has a new version of the Adrenalin Edition software. My factory installed version is  18.2.1, the new version is 18.41 released about a week ago. Perhaps the new windows update and the AMD software had a problem and now AMD is fixing it. I did already try to update the video drivers from Device Manager and it crashed mid install. I'll run the Display Driver Uninstaller because that crash may have harmed something also and download and install the full version (not web installer) of the Adrenalin software. I'll let you know if that helps. Thank you doctor who likes to play video games and program LOL.

I am so hoping this unit is Not a potato. I already had to do a factory windows reset last night trying to fix such problems and tried to install some games that do work on my old laptop that actually Is a potato. ( HP laptop AMD A6 .. 8 gigs of system ram but only 512 of dedicated video ram - However 4 gigs all together from shared system ram and thats how I was able to play these games mostly on medium settings at 720p) Skyrim, Far Cry 4  but they would only crash. (Got this Dell to play Far Cry 5) 

You see I don't know if it's just a software driver conflict or if i'm missing runtime libraries or the like as it is a new system or if it's a hardware problem.  If I can get my Radeon Settings Host Application and the games working both at the same time, i'll know i pretty much got it all fixed.

Thanks again. I'll leave word when I'm able to try your suggestions later tonight. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 12th, 2018 23:00

The trick is usually a clean-install of stable WHQL drivers. If the driver-suite needs a missing Dot-Net or something, it should tell you or prompt you to install it.

I played FarCry 1, 2, and 3. I think I like FC-2 the best so far.

FarCry 2, 3 will both run fine on an old Intel-i7-930 and AMD-5870.

Fallout-4 barely ran at Medium on the Aurora-R1 with AMD-5870. After swapping it for a GTX-1070 ... it runs effortlessly on Ultra.

So, Fallout-4 is a good test. Unlike something like WoW ... which runs pretty nice even on something old like XPS-410, with Q6600-quad and AMD-5770.

If that other post isn't enough ... I think I would Nuke-and-Pave it before I went to all the trouble of sending it back.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/fixed/td-p/5627124

May 13th, 2018 10:00

I replied last night but for some reason my post is not here. Having lots of trouble posting here. I ran ePSA's short test and it says all works fine. On the next page I retested the GPU and Memory with the Thorough option checked and they passed. I did not run the extended test of 4 hours yet because this PC is the only one I have to use during the day. I'll do that tonight. 

I'll repeat what I posted last night: 

I did get the problem solved about the Radeon Settings app crashing, removing my old AMD stuff and installing the latest version fixed it - However, still none of my games work. I do have the latest direct X and all the V C++ runtimes (installed from an all in one redistribute) and Framework 4.7 installed so my games should run. I've tried Skyrim, Fallout 4, GTA 5 and Oblivion. They all run on my older laptop but Oblivion is the only one that actually starts into the game and it has very bad studdering issues. 

I decided to try some benchmarks. I ran Furmark, Passmark's Performance Test 9 and UserBenchMark. UserBenchMark was the only app that did not crash during testing. It reports my GPU as operating below average. Furmark either crashes or causes the PC to completely reboot. Passmark does fine until it gets to the GPU test then it crashes to desktop. Mind you I'm only testing at 800x600 resolution and Not doing a burn in test or anything too heavy. 

I've already tried once to do a new system install with updated drivers.. if the 4 hour test passes everything tonight indicating the hardware is good, what's my next step? I'm thinking keeping my internet unplugged so it Cannot install the windows update, then install the new drivers and if they work, then install the windows update (which it will do at some point because it's forced) Any other thoughts before I do these steps tonight? 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 13th, 2018 11:00

@DivergentDroidwrote:

1. I replied last night but for some reason my post is not here. I'll repeat what I posted last night: 

2. I ran ePSA's short test and it says all works fine.

3. On the next page I retested the GPU and Memory with the Thorough option checked and they passed.

4. extended test ... I'll do that tonight. 

1. Always copy to clipboard before clicking Post.

2. good

3. Good

4. Good

What exact model is this desktop anyway?

Can you tell what size Power-Supply is in there?

May 13th, 2018 13:00

The PSU is 460 watts. It's A Dell i5675-A933BLU-PUS. . Edited after a while: Sold by Ocean  Reef  Electronics on Amazon  Right now for 549.00 no shipping or tax. - Dell sells the unit for way more. I am beginning to suspect these guys are taking the video cards out swapping the 570 for a 470 because of this silly hard to find graphics cards because they are being bought up for people who wanna do Bit-you know what Mining. Which is fraudulent. Lots of guys bought these off of Black Friday Cheap. 

I am not running a 4k monitor. My monitor is connected via HDMI, the only option I have. I run my preferred desktop resolution at 1280x720. This is the resolution I'll run all my games at. I have bad eyes and this resolution is good for me to see.

I do Not use Steam at all. I have Not tried compatibility with an older OS because I felt nothing "should" need it.. But I will try.  I'll try the OCCT software and also try to retest at 1280x720 - That resolution should be high enough.. it works on my AMD laptop. I'll get back to you after I can do that.

Thanks. Oh Btw.. Passmark's Advanced -> 3d Graphics test area identifies my GPU as a 470 not a 570. Most other software says it's a 570 But I have read that it's suspected they just used OC'd 470's and this isn't a genuine 570, they did this by tweaking and changing the firmware info it reports to the OS - I don't know if that's true or not but even a 470 should play these games.

Also in Chrome or Firefox I have artifacts issues when viewing web pages and if I update any driver or install software, my monitor always goes black screen for a few seconds sometimes several times, before windows returns. I at first thought this was just a glitch of a new system but it happens Every single time and should never happen. My mouse even freezes many times. I've had computers since before the WWW graphical web; used Atari 1600xl, Radio Shack Models 1 through 3 plus Coco and Commodore 64 computers and Windows from Windows 3.1 on up so I know the difference. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 13th, 2018 13:00

@DivergentDroidwrote:

1. I did get the problem solved about the Radeon Settings app crashing, removing my old AMD stuff and installing the latest version fixed it -

2. However, still none of my games work.

3. I've tried Skyrim, Fallout 4, GTA 5 and Oblivion. They all run on my older laptop but Oblivion is the only one that actually starts into the game and it has very bad studdering issues. 

4. I decided to try some benchmarks.

5. Mind you I'm only testing at 800x600 resolution

1. Good work

2. OK, that's weird. Some of these are older. Have you tried the Windows-7 compatibility trick? If these are Steam-based, I think you do it on the Steam Launcher itself. Also, turn-off the Steam overlay for now.

3. I have most of these old games ... especially the Bethesda ones. I think Skyrim is old Fallout-3 New Vegas game-engine so not much horse-power is needed (like even an old AMD-5870 is fine).

I gave-up on AMD years ago ... I'm running mainly Intel and Nvidia on my main machines these days. However, I do have some AMD-GPUs in my Kodi boxes. I could load Skyrim (from Steam) on this machine (with AMD-7750) if you think it would prove anything.

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/td-p/6054983

4. Try OCCT ... the Power Supply Test. That's what I use.

5. No, that might freak-out something. Try a normal resolution around 1080p ... in-fact it should be what you run native as full-screen (you are not running a 4K monitor are you?)

May 13th, 2018 15:00

Furmark crashes right away with 1280x720 resolution. a white screen running in a window which I have to close with task manager. 

This is interesting: Passmark Advanced GPU under direct X 9 or above I always get different results. Sometimes 100 fps and sometimes 30 fps. It seems 9 kinda works some of the time and direct x 10 half of the time and direct x 11 or 12 none of the time. .. If that helps any.. Doing the OCCT test next. I tried win 7 compatibility mode in Oblivion, the only game that will run and it didn't make a difference. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 13th, 2018 20:00

@DivergentDroidwrote:

1. The PSU is 460 watts. It's A Dell i5675-A933BLU-PUS. .

2. I run my preferred desktop resolution at 1280x720. This is the resolution I'll run all my games at. I have bad eyes and this resolution is good for me to see.

3. I don't know if that's true or not but even a 470 should play these games.

4. Also in Chrome or Firefox I have artifacts issues when viewing web pages

5. and if I update any driver or install software, my monitor always goes black screen for a few seconds

6. I've had computers since before the WWW graphical web; used Atari 1600xl, Radio Shack Models 1 through 3 plus Coco and Commodore 64 computers and Windows from Windows 3.1 on up so I know the difference. 

1. OK

2. OK, that's cool I guess

3. Right

4. Really, Hmm ... that's bad.

5. Actually, that is kinda normal

6. OK, so you have some experience (we never know, until you tell us). But no Amiga ? I loved my Amiga-500.

$600 is cheap for this system. However, if you are correct and they pushed a AMD-470 to a 570 ... it might be freaking it out?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 13th, 2018 20:00

@DivergentDroidwrote:

I've already tried once to do a new system install with updated drivers..

Yeah, well according to this ... I don't think I would load much Dell stuff back on.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-5675-Gaming-Desktop-Random-lockups/m-p/6048762

In fact, after a clean Windows-10 install, if Device Manger was "clean" ... I would skip all Dell drivers and run on the Microsoft drivers. Maybe, load a mature WHQL driver from AMD.com for the video and stop there.

May 14th, 2018 07:00

OCCT gets 29 minutes in then stops with an error that says, " GPU over maximum value. Value reached: 86, Max value: 85" I was Testing Direct X 11 at 1280x720.

I did try to run the extended test from ePSA last night. Not wanting to watch it for 4 hours, I set it and  went to bed only to find the PC was shut down this morning. I'll have to retest and actually watch it to see whats happening, i'll do that today asap. It's possible it crashed or a cat turned it off.. I have 9 cats and they like to sit on top of the PC  where the on/off switch is. I don't think it would just shut down completely after running the test because you need to see the results.

May 14th, 2018 08:00

I ran OCCT again. I was mistaken, I had the resolution set under Power Supply as 1280x720 but under GPU it was listed at 1600x900. I changed it to 1280x720 ticked error checking and ran it again. It also stopped 29 minutes in but with a different error. It says the object is in use by another application? I'm not running anything else. Error checking reports over 50 thousand errors. Going to try ePSA again now.. be back in a few hours.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 14th, 2018 08:00

@DivergentDroidwrote:

1. OCCT gets 29 minutes in then stops with an error that says, " GPU over maximum value. Value reached: 86, Max value: 85" I was Testing Direct X 11 at 1280x720.

2. I did try to run the extended test from ePSA last night. Not wanting to watch it for 4 hours, I set it and  went to bed only to find the PC was shut down this morning. I'll have to retest and actually watch it to see whats happening, i'll do that today asap. It's possible it crashed or a cat turned it off.. I have 9 cats and they like to sit on top of the PC  where the on/off switch is. I don't think it would just shut down completely after running the test because you need to see the results.

1. Over the years, I have run 30 minute OCCT tests on AMD-5870, AMD-5770, and two different Nvidia GTX-1070. I've never seen a GPU reach 86c .

2. Not good, but at least you have now seen two different ways to easily simulate and repeat a failure.

I doubt kitty-cats turned-off your Inspiron. If you think so, put a small cardboard box over keyboard and/or power-switch.

May 14th, 2018 11:00

Finished running ePSA's extended test. All passed. It's odd but ePSA doesn't run a separate GPU test in it's extended test, it only tests the CPU, memory and hard drive, so that didn't really help. That is in contrast to the thousands of errors OCCT reported. (I'll be happy to run OCCT again and give you screenshots if needed) Btw, the last time I ran OCCT with error checking the animation froze on the screen even though it reported different FPS in the upper left hand corner, it stayed mostly around 60 fps but would vary up and down as if the animation was still being tested, even though it was frozen on the screen. I'm not doing anything now and the mouse is very sluggish and doesn't move half the time.. I forgot to mention this was another glitch I've had since I got this unit. 

I don't have a copy of Windows 10 I can install that does not have the AMD drivers bundled with it. I can try to do as I suggested, reset windows from factory settings, keep my internet off so it won't install the critical windows update, either install the full version of the AMD software that is bundled with the system or the newer version of the software from AMD (after removing the default with the uninstall tool) and test again. As many problems as the benchmarking tools are having plus the card not seeming to work properly, I cannot trust that the ePSA information is correct. It only does a short test on the GPU.

I'll try that and if nothing helps.. it's a potato. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 14th, 2018 11:00

@DivergentDroidwrote:

1. Finished running ePSA's extended test. All passed.

2. It's odd but ePSA doesn't run a separate GPU test in it's extended test, it only tests the CPU, memory and hard drive, so that didn't really help. 

3. I don't have a copy of Windows 10 I can install that does not have the AMD drivers bundled with it.

1. Good

2. Never has, but it does check machine to about 90%. That's why you have to run something like OCCT to test GPU and power-supply.

3. I already have you the link the one of my many Nuke-and-Pave write-ups.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/fixed/td-p/5627124

This will work fine:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

No Events found!