Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

11 Posts

November 10th, 2019 08:00

Inspiron 5675, change boot order

This question has been answered previously, but the offered solution doesn't work for me.

My desktop came without a M2 drive, and I have installed a compatible Crucial drive and cloned the existing C drive to it. When trying to change the boot order to the new drive, via F2, then F5 or F6, there is no other option than selecting the existing drive. No sub-menu, no other drives listed anywhere.

How can I change it?

Thanks

11 Posts

November 10th, 2019 10:00

Hello and thanks for posting.

The entire drive was cloned with Acronis.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 10th, 2019 10:00

When you did the Clone, did you clone the entire drive (all partitions) or just the "C" partition.  You have to clone the entire drive or it won't work.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 10th, 2019 16:00

I had failures with Acronis True Image and the only clone success I had was with Macrium Reflect (free version).

Give that a try

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

11 Posts

November 11th, 2019 08:00

Acronis works fine, the drive is recognised in the disk management and Explorer.

The question is how to change the boot drive in the Bios. 

2.5K Posts

November 11th, 2019 09:00

where is the old C: drive now?  on shelf?

use migrate drive not clone? works better.

some PCs have two, m.2 slots only  one boots... did you read your service manual first, to see this?

ok has 2 slots. one right one wifi.

did  you reset bios. or update it? later first that reset last.

was the old drive, infection and corruption free?  cloning does not clean anything.

why not back up data first, and fresh load w10-64bit.  the restore. (this works best of all)

the correct slot M.2 is next to the RTC coin cell that is for sure, are you there>?

the BIOS  must see that drive as M.2.. 

also on some MOBO, the M.2 slot fails if some SATA real ports are used, not sure here, dont know this  mobo.

but what I told you is true (in general)  remove all SATA devices, then cold boot the PC

and look in BIOS F2, and see if the M.2 shows up any where, there, look carefully, and if there is M.2 enable feature or SATA Sections with disables set,  look carefully in BIOS, not just glance look on all pages

after all BIOS is not documented by most PC markers and what upgrades every week now, yikess.

The last look in boot order, last , OK?

also I not sure which types of M.2 drives (gum stick) are supported on this PC, and is one more issue. to consider

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 11th, 2019 09:00

The "C" partition may be OK but if it doesn't have the other needed  partitions or they are corrupt then its not a bootable drive.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 11th, 2019 13:00

Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for the option to boot from the M.2 drive on that menu.

Assuming it boots, that means the clone works. So the issue is probably because the old drive is still connected and has the OS on it.  So now disconnect the old drive and try booting normally. It should boot directly from the SSD.

And if that works, reconnect the old drive and then use F12 to boot from the SSD again. Now open Disk Management and select the option to initialize the old drive. Everything on the old drive will be lost.

Then reboot normally (old drive still connected) and it should boot from the SSD. The old drive can now be used for storage.

NOTE: Always power off, unplug, and press/hold the power button for ~15 sec before doing any work inside the case...

No Events found!