Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2018 09:00

Inspiron 5675, dual monitor connection problems

I have a Dell Inspiron 5675 (Full Specs: https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-5675-tower-ryzen-5-1400-3-2-ghz-8-gb-1-tb-english/specs/) 

I am trying to connect this desktop to 2 screens. It only has 1 HDMI port and one DVI port, although the DVI seems to not be working. I tried plugin both screens separately and they didn't connect.

One of my screens is a brand new Samsung with HDMI port and its working absolutely fine. 

The other is an older LG Flatron L1953S, and only has a VGA entrance.

I have tried several methods and lastly, I purchased an HDMI splitter and a VGA-HDMI converter, so that I could connect both screens to the same HDMI port. Now the problem is that only one screen at a time can display the image. 

I turned off my desktop, connected both monitors to the HDMI splitter, and when the computer is turning back on, the DELL logo actually shows up on both screens, but then both go black and enter Standby mode.

if I turn off the LG monitor from the HDMI splitter, the Samsung screen displays image normally.

I don't what else to try. I purchased this computer being told it could handle two monitors and I really need it for my work. Please, can someone help?

Many thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 14th, 2018 10:00

There are lots of DisplayPort>VGA adapters available that let you connect a VGA monitor to DP on a PC's video card.

Here's are examples at Amazon.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

June 13th, 2018 10:00

What video card-rx-570? Make sure you are connecting both monitors to the video card and not to the integrated video ports. The card does not have old tech vga so you need to upgrade that monitor to one with dvi/hdmi. One port on the card is display port the other hdmi. 

You cannot use both integrated video and separate card. VGA is not a good display choice. The integrated vga is there for backwards compatibility.

15 Posts

June 13th, 2018 10:00

Your HDMI splitter will only display the same image to both monitors when set to a compatible resolution for both.

To display to different images you need to use your DVI port.  I'm guessing your DVI port is DVI-D (digital only vs DVI-I that has both digital and analog) so you need need an "Active DVI-D to VGA Adapter".  It also sounds like you have an "Active HDMI to VGA Adapter" so a DVI-D to HDMI Adapter might also work.

3 Posts

June 14th, 2018 08:00

you're absolutely right! thank you so much. 
I didn't even think that HDMI splitter would only give me the same display. So this is definitely not my solution.

My graphic card also has 3 display ports available. do you reckon the older screen would connect there?

3 Posts

June 14th, 2018 08:00

Thats a really good point!
My desktop only has one HDMI entrance, but it does have 3 DisplayPorts next to it. do you reckon if I buy a VGA - DisplayPort adapter, that the older screen would connect?

No Events found!