Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

6 Posts

February 26th, 2019 07:00

Inspiron 5675, simultaneous multithreading

I purchased this system with the Ryzen 1700x. I noticed in the Ryzen master simultaneous multithreading is marked as NA. I understand you cannot overclock the memory due to Dells Bios. I would assume though that if it is coming with the Ryzen that simultaneous multi threading would be enabled. Does NA mean it is on a cannot be turned off or does it mean it is off and cannot be turned on? 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 26th, 2019 12:00

Probably means "Not Available"  So SMT may not be supported by this motherboard...

6 Posts

February 26th, 2019 13:00

Well that is pretty lame. I can understand with Dell not being to get into the Bios to make changes but selling an 8 core with a motherboard that doesn't support multi thread defeats the purpose. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 26th, 2019 13:00

Don't work for Dell so I can't explain why or why not...

If you read tests posted on the net, turning SMT off on systems with the 1700x can make some games run faster/better.

BTW: What version of BIOS do you have? Version 1.3.7 is the latest. If you don't have the latest, you could update it, but I do not know if that will give you access to SMT.

Read/follow the installation instructions on that page carefully. Disable your antiviral suite before attempting to run the update, and disconnect all external devices, except mouse, monitor and keyboard too.

If you update BIOS, you do it entirely at your own risk because there's always a chance a BIOS update will brick the motherboard.  Do NOT let Dell's SupportAssist app manage the BIOS update for you. Manually download the BIOS .exe file from that page onto your desktop and launch it yourself.

No Events found!