Inspiron 5675, upgradability and proprietary help!

Jump to solution

I currently have the dell Inspiron 5675 with the ryzen 5 and rx570. I heard the PSU and MOBO is proprietary but there is still no confirmation. I want to upgrade the gpu to either the rx vega or gtx 1080 but know that the 460 watt psu wont do. Dells only offer is a 850 watt psu for 250$ to upgrade!! I want to no concretely what other psu I can buy that's cheaper and will work. Also if I just switched out the MOBO and PSU completely will that solve all proprietary issues? or what else will I need to replace? I heard the Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W  PSU should work, but got no confirmation. Link to psu is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153158 Please help thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Dell Inspiron 5675 upgradability and proprietery help!

Jump to solution

If you're already looking at making these upgrades, you'd be better off building a system yourself - or having a custom builder do that for you, using a standard case and mainboard.  You'll get more room for expansion (the case these ship with is fairly small and won't be well suited to cooling a high performance video card), and since you're already on that track, you may just want to add the money now and have a standard system built.

All of the brand-name systems have some proprietary elements to them - a standard system built from off the shelf parts won't.

Jump to solution

yes i realize that, but i don't have the money to buy all that right now, that's why I'm looking to slowly build this up and replace it part by part

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

If your short-term plan is to install a Vega or 1080 GPU, look for something with a larger case - this one is too small for those.

If that's a longer-term goal, then this system may suit you in the mean time - but plan on needing to replace the mainboard and case later on -- fitting a Dell board in a standard chassis isn't easy, and remember that the Windows license goes with the mainboard, meaning you'll need a new one if you ever replace the system board.

You won't be able to build or buy a custom-made system for what Dell charges - but for the lower price, there are compromises.

kalebdog253
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just did it yesterday.  I have both an intel and AMD version of the Inspiron 5675 and the Vega should fit in both.  I put my vega 64 (Sapphire Nitro+) into the AMD version of the Inspiron 5675.  In regards to the power supply, I bought a EVGA 850w modular power supply which fits but had to trim a piece of medal (1/4 by 1/4 inch) (which voided the purchased warranty. DELL-Chris M) on the actual computer case so that the power supply on off switch was not pressed by the case. 

0 Kudos
suemccartin
2 Iron

Jump to solution

can you please either give a url or provide the exact model number of the power supply you put in it?  Is it stable so far?  Tried any stress tests?  The case mod you mention doesn't sound too bad if that's all you had to do I say you were lucky.  assuming you used a grinding tip?

0 Kudos
postdps
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 5675, upgradability and proprietary help!

Jump to solution

I upgraded my Inspiron 5675 PSU to the Corsair TX850M. It fits and the plug and switch is in the correct area.

0 Kudos
ActuallyAkshay
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Any issues so far with your new PSU?Like did you have to trim the metal? Or did it just slide right in, and was a quick plug and play essentially? I just got the 5680 and plan on replacing that PSU when I get the chance. 

I literally have no idea why they would still be using a 460W PSU. They can't really claim is designed to upgrade with gamers, when you immediately put a hurdle in front of you lol.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes worked fine! Just had to trim the back of the case a little. The Thermaltake I listed on the original post will work! Don't listen to Dell Customer service, they try to sell you a REFERBISHED PSU for almost $300! (should have been in there when I bought it as advertised, they quickly changed advertisements when people noticed they were getting **bleep** over) What a joke. I recommend eventually just building your own if you have the cash, that's what I did and my system runs flawless now. Best of luck!

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

@pasty productions wrote:

I recommend eventually just building your own if you have the cash

I tend to agree.

If you want a budget system, and can config an Inspiron the way you want ... buy it and use it. Enjoy the piece of mind of having a Dell with a warranty. Something a little nicer ? ... config an XPS instead. Want a nice gaming rig instead ... config and buy a nice loaded Aurora just the way you want it (I love my Aurora-R6 ... fast and rock-solid stable).

Same goes for business OptiPlexes and even high-end Precision Workstations. Buy the right computer for your intended use-case.

But if you are buying these pre-built Dell and Alienware systems ... only to immediately tear them apart and rebuild-them ... I don't understand the point of that.  

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.