Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2018 12:00

Inspiron 5675, upgradability and proprietary help!

I currently have the dell Inspiron 5675 with the ryzen 5 and rx570. I heard the PSU and MOBO is proprietary but there is still no confirmation. I want to upgrade the gpu to either the rx vega or gtx 1080 but know that the 460 watt psu wont do. Dells only offer is a 850 watt psu for 250$ to upgrade!! I want to no concretely what other psu I can buy that's cheaper and will work. Also if I just switched out the MOBO and PSU completely will that solve all proprietary issues? or what else will I need to replace? I heard the Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W  PSU should work, but got no confirmation. Link to psu is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153158 Please help thank you!

1 Message

April 19th, 2018 07:00

I just did it yesterday.  I have both an intel and AMD version of the Inspiron 5675 and the Vega should fit in both.  I put my vega 64 (Sapphire Nitro+) into the AMD version of the Inspiron 5675.  In regards to the power supply, I bought a EVGA 850w modular power supply which fits but had to trim a piece of medal (1/4 by 1/4 inch) (which voided the purchased warranty. DELL-Chris M) on the actual computer case so that the power supply on off switch was not pressed by the case. 

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

If you're already looking at making these upgrades, you'd be better off building a system yourself - or having a custom builder do that for you, using a standard case and mainboard.  You'll get more room for expansion (the case these ship with is fairly small and won't be well suited to cooling a high performance video card), and since you're already on that track, you may just want to add the money now and have a standard system built.

All of the brand-name systems have some proprietary elements to them - a standard system built from off the shelf parts won't.

yes i realize that, but i don't have the money to buy all that right now, that's why I'm looking to slowly build this up and replace it part by part

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

February 11th, 2018 13:00

If your short-term plan is to install a Vega or 1080 GPU, look for something with a larger case - this one is too small for those.

If that's a longer-term goal, then this system may suit you in the mean time - but plan on needing to replace the mainboard and case later on -- fitting a Dell board in a standard chassis isn't easy, and remember that the Windows license goes with the mainboard, meaning you'll need a new one if you ever replace the system board.

You won't be able to build or buy a custom-made system for what Dell charges - but for the lower price, there are compromises.

88 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 17:00

can you please either give a url or provide the exact model number of the power supply you put in it?  Is it stable so far?  Tried any stress tests?  The case mod you mention doesn't sound too bad if that's all you had to do I say you were lucky.  assuming you used a grinding tip?

2 Posts

June 5th, 2018 09:00

I upgraded my Inspiron 5675 PSU to the Corsair TX850M. It fits and the plug and switch is in the correct area.

June 27th, 2018 12:00

Any issues so far with your new PSU?Like did you have to trim the metal? Or did it just slide right in, and was a quick plug and play essentially? I just got the 5680 and plan on replacing that PSU when I get the chance. 

I literally have no idea why they would still be using a 460W PSU. They can't really claim is designed to upgrade with gamers, when you immediately put a hurdle in front of you lol.

June 27th, 2018 16:00

Yes worked fine! Just had to trim the back of the case a little. The Thermaltake I listed on the original post will work! Don't listen to Dell Customer service, they try to sell you a REFERBISHED PSU for almost $300! (should have been in there when I bought it as advertised, they quickly changed advertisements when people noticed they were getting **bleep** over) What a joke. I recommend eventually just building your own if you have the cash, that's what I did and my system runs flawless now. Best of luck!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 27th, 2018 19:00

@pasty productions wrote:

I recommend eventually just building your own if you have the cash

I tend to agree.

If you want a budget system, and can config an Inspiron the way you want ... buy it and use it. Enjoy the piece of mind of having a Dell with a warranty. Something a little nicer ? ... config an XPS instead. Want a nice gaming rig instead ... config and buy a nice loaded Aurora just the way you want it (I love my Aurora-R6 ... fast and rock-solid stable).

Same goes for business OptiPlexes and even high-end Precision Workstations. Buy the right computer for your intended use-case.

But if you are buying these pre-built Dell and Alienware systems ... only to immediately tear them apart and rebuild-them ... I don't understand the point of that.  

July 27th, 2018 12:00

@postdps wrote:

I upgraded my Inspiron 5675 PSU to the Corsair TX850M. It fits and the plug and switch is in the correct area.

Was the process for replacing the PSU basically plug and play without case modifications? Did you have any challenges with proprietary parts in the replacement process? Would you still recommend this unit for replacing the 460w Inspiron 5675 PSU? I haven’t been able to find concrete confirmation that any non-Dell PSU is a straight replacement for what’s included with the Inspiron 5675 due to the funky design of the chassis. Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer!

110 Posts

August 1st, 2018 19:00

Not sure about the TX850M, but my Corsair TX750v2 fit in the 5675. But it wasn't a perfect fit, and I ended up with a significant amount of 'slant', and the side panel barely fit back on. Additionally, all the cables caused airflow problems (the TX750v2 isn't modular.)

A better solution was the Corsair CX650M which fit in almost perfectly.

August 2nd, 2018 14:00

Hi, thanks so much for taking the time to share! Did you have to do anything special when installing your CX650m with case modifications or cable management to accommodate the unit fitting properly? May I ask if you also upgraded the GPU or Ryzen CPU to a 2nd gen Ryzen part successfully?

732 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 19:00

I would just get a XPS in the 8900 line and make a few tweaks.

110 Posts

August 4th, 2018 14:00

Originally I replaced the 460w unit after I noticed it was running very hot with an RX 580 and 1050 Ti (for GPU passthrough.) I also successfully used the CX650M with an MSI Gaming GTX 970, though I later sold that card.

No case mods were necessary to fit the CX650M, though it fits in with a very slight slant. This does not prevent the side cover from closing or any airflow problems. As far as cable management goes, there was one problem. The small DVD drive at the top uses a non-standard power connector, so it currently has no power. The other really minor thing is that I had to take out a CPU power cable extender, as the one included with the CX650M was already long enough.

August 9th, 2018 14:00

I really appreciate your time and detailed response, thanks again for all of your help! I don’t need to upgrade anything now but at some point down the line I will probably want to upgrade the GPU and if the new card has anything higher than a 120w TDP, I’ll probably switch up the PSU to the unit you recommended. Cheers!

No Events found!