Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 10th, 2018 16:00

Inspiron 5676, strange sound problem

Hi,

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5676 and I'm pretty satisfied with it except for one thing. When I turn on my pc in the morning, I have no sound, but as soon as I restart it, the sound works.

I don't see any driver or peripheral problem in the peripheral manager. I updated the Realtek drivers, I rolled back to older drivers and it didn't solve anything. When I get no sound, I tried unpluging and re-pluging my speakers, but it doesn't work. 

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be? Could it be a faulty jack? 

Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 11th, 2018 09:00

Instead of hacking at Processes and Services, I suggest you uninstall any Audio related driver-suites, delete audio devices (from Devices and Printers and also Device Manager) and finally ... reboot computer. Let Windows PnP the audio-device and clean-install its own recommend set of (usable) drivers ... like in this thread:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-audio-distorted-breaks-up/m-p/6173118#M18094

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 10th, 2018 19:00

Probably not a faulty jack if it works after you reboot.

More likely a software issue. When you first boot and there's no sound, is any entry in Device Manager marked with a ! or with an X ?

When you boot and there's no sound, right-click Start > Run and type in: services.msc  When that opens, right-click the Realtek Audio Service entry and make sure it's set to Automatic start, and not to Automatic (Delayed Start). And if it hasn't started, click the button to start it. (Do not change any other settings in services.msc.) Close services.msc and see if you have audio now...

Does that help?

3 Posts

September 11th, 2018 05:00

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your help. There are no ! or X anywhere in the Device Manager. I went into Services.msc, the Realtek Audio Service entry was set to automatic, but it was stopped. I tried to start it, but I got an error message saying that it couldn't find the "RtkAudUService64.exe". I couldn't find that file anywhere on my PC, so I found it only and put it in my Windows/System32 folder. I turned off my PC, started it, and I still have no sound even when I launch the Realtek Audio Service entry. 

I compared this entry to what it is when I reboot my PC and get sound, and there isn't any difference. Even when it is stopped, I get sound on reboot?!?

J-F

3 Posts

September 11th, 2018 11:00

Thanks, Tesla. That was one of the first thing I did to try to fix this problem and it didn't work. I tried it again, and I guess I did something different because it seems to have solved my issue.

So, thanks a lot!

J-F

No Events found!