Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

5 Posts

October 11th, 2018 19:00

Inspiron 5680, XMP, bad technical support

Before I begin:

Inspiron 5680 - CPU I7-8700 (non K) - GPU GTX 1060 3gb - Mobo Dell Z370 (0PXWHK) - BIOS Dell 1.3.2 - RAM SK Hynix 1x8 2400mhz (stock)

Called tech support's general line and after waiting for a very long time on hold finally someone answered.

My inquiry was: "How can I enable XMP through my dell bios? I want to upgrade the ram in my system without manually overclocking as that will void my warranty".  

The guy sounded like he had never experienced a caller who's issue was more than something basic.

He said "oh sir by mistake you have reached the wrong department let me transfer you".

When the next guy finally picked up, I explained my issue to him, he said "this is the first time I've ever heard of 'XMP'".

Anyways, he put me on hold for about 10 minutes then the call disconnected. 

So I called back, someone answered, then hung-up on me again. 

What is going on Dell? I'm about 10 minutes away from returning my $1500 computer, googling your biggest competitor and buying from them.

This is unacceptable. I EXPECT to be contacted regarding this. When I am, I want to speak with someone who knows what they're talking about. Apparently big words like motherboard and overclock are too complicated for a massive IT company's tech support to handle? 

My e-mail is in my account which you can see, I am more than happy to provide my phone number as well over e-mail. Clock's ticking.

340 Posts

August 2nd, 2019 15:00

"That PC is more oriented to gaming and not memory, always do your homework before buying any extras for any computer."

For someone giving advice, it's YOU that should do your homework!  Guess what industry high-speed memory is targeted at?  It's the GAMING PC industry.  If you even looked a little, you'd find all the fancy RGB/High-speed memory modules are for GAMERS.  The Dell 5680 is -- a GAMING PC.  Dell says so right on the product page.

So it isn't a stretch of the imagination that a GAMING PC might support XMP.  Or that it even SHOULD support XMP, except that then Dell would be taking away from their overpriced Alienware line, which does support XMP.

GAMING=MEMORY.  That's a tip for you.  

What is even more unfortunate is that getting some memory modules and wanting them to run at 2666 is even impossible on this 5680 because it requires XMP!  Else the module defaults to some ridiculously slow 2133.  It's the module manufacturers that need to be clearer what speeds their modules run at when they advertise a certain speed, it should run at that speed for everyone.

7 Posts

August 28th, 2020 20:00

i'm running 4 8gb crucial ballistix 2666 for 32 gb total. task manager sees them all at 2667mhz.it is a shame you cannot get to xmp to activate it. it is in there. CPU-Z show's xmp is available. just not accessible.

No Events found!