Re: Inspiron 5680, XMP, bad technical support

magicjohnson95,

This is not a problem. You are trying to use the Inspiron 5680 in a way that was never designed or sold.

The Inspiron 5680 was never designed to use XMP memory or to allow users to customize the BIOS.

The Inspiron 5680 sales site never mentions XMP memory. It shows DDR4 2666MHz and DDR4 2400MHz. Nor does it mention overclocking.

The online Inspiron Gaming Desktop Setup and Specifications PDF clearly shows on page 20 =

Capture1.JPG

Configurations supported =
8GB Single Channel DDR4 2400MHz/2666MHz (1x8GB)
* 16GB Single Channel DDR4 2666MHz (1x16GB) (Not tested by Dell but Forum customers say it works)
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz/2666MHz (2x8GB)
* 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz/2666MHz (4x8GB) (Not tested by Dell but Forum customers say it works)
32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2666MHz (2x16GB)
64GB Dual Channel DDR4 2666MHz (4x16GB)

Dell OEM memory sticks =
TP9W1 16GB,2666MHz,2RX8,DDR4,1Gx72,8K,288pin,2Rx8,Dual Rank,Unbuffered,1.2v,Non-ECC
Y7N41 8GB,2666MHz,1RX8,DDR4,1Gx64,8K,288pin,1Rx8,Single Rank,Unbuffered,1.2v,Non-ECC
M0VW4 8GB,2400MHz,1RX8,DDR4,1Gx64,8K,288pin,1GBx8,Single Rank,Unbuffered,1.2v,Non-ECC

0 Kudos
KayleG
1 Copper

Dell speaks, 2666mhz is unachievable. Regardless of what that massive jumble of numbers says. The mobo bottlenecks it at 2400. There is no work around built into the system. The technical data is not accurate. Not that this is the end of the world, just an inconvenience for people who didn’t read any “buyer beware”’s before purchasing a dell product. I am perfectly happy with my 5680, i swapped the ram and HDD out for 2x8 2666mhz and a 1TB SDD. Just wish Dell was honest so i didnt apend the extra money purchasing 2666 ram over 2400.
0 Kudos
magicjohnson95
1 Copper

That's a bummer. I was hoping to work around it by buying ram that runs at 2666mhz at JEDEC (SPD), eliminating the problem of unusable xmp specs. This was for a 5676 which only states supported speeds of 2400 in dells documentation but according to dells own forums here it does still support 2666 speeds. sounds like that may not be possible though. I'm also happy with my dell but being unable to alter the bios simply to increase ram speed for a specifically stated gaming PC is pretty darn frustrating. Just gotta hope it doesn't downclock it to 2133mhz once it arrives. Thank you for the reply though! 

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

That PC is more oriented to gaming and not memory, always do your homework before buying any extras for any computer.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

"Dell speaks, 2666mhz is unachievable. "

Where does Dell say that? Dell-Chris M's post says (in green) that Dell tested and validated Dual Channel DDR4 at 2400MHz/2666MHz.

That means the RAM they tested will work at those speeds. Obviously, Dell can't test every manufacturer's RAM in every PC model and RAM is not all made to the same specs. So when you throw in some brand of RAM that Dell didn't test, it may -or not- work at the desired speed.

So who's fault is that? If you wanted RAM that was validated to work at 2666 MHZ in this PC, you should have purchased it from Dell, or gotten a warranty from whichever brand you bought that it would run at 2666 MHz in this specific PC model or they'd take it back.

Besides, I doubt you'd even notice any difference in performance with 2400 vs 2666 MHz RAM.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

@RoHe wrote:
"Dell speaks, 2666mhz is unachievable. "

Where does Dell say that? Dell-Chris M's post says (in green) that Dell tested and validated Dual Channel DDR4 at 2400MHz/2666MHz.

That means the RAM they tested will work at those speeds. Obviously, Dell can't test every manufacturer's RAM in every PC model and RAM is not all made to the same specs. So when you throw in some brand of RAM that Dell didn't test, it may -or not- work at the desired speed.

So who's fault is that? If you wanted RAM that was validated to work at 2666 MHZ in this PC, you should have purchased it from Dell, or gotten a warranty from whichever brand you bought that it would run at 2666 MHz in this specific PC model or they'd take it back.

Besides, I doubt you'd even notice any difference in performance with 2400 vs 2666 MHz RAM.

I agree, they wouldn't notice any difference

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
lancorp
3 Argentium

"That PC is more oriented to gaming and not memory, always do your homework before buying any extras for any computer."

For someone giving advice, it's YOU that should do your homework!  Guess what industry high-speed memory is targeted at?  It's the GAMING PC industry.  If you even looked a little, you'd find all the fancy RGB/High-speed memory modules are for GAMERS.  The Dell 5680 is -- a GAMING PC.  Dell says so right on the product page.

So it isn't a stretch of the imagination that a GAMING PC might support XMP.  Or that it even SHOULD support XMP, except that then Dell would be taking away from their overpriced Alienware line, which does support XMP.

GAMING=MEMORY.  That's a tip for you.  

What is even more unfortunate is that getting some memory modules and wanting them to run at 2666 is even impossible on this 5680 because it requires XMP!  Else the module defaults to some ridiculously slow 2133.  It's the module manufacturers that need to be clearer what speeds their modules run at when they advertise a certain speed, it should run at that speed for everyone.

0 Kudos