Start a Conversation

Unsolved

445 Posts

March 17th, 2020 19:00

Inspiron 580, HDMI port not working

Have a neighbor that has an Inspiron 580 that he updated to Windows 10 when Microsoft was giving out the freebee's. (Don't know if that would make a difference)  He now wants to install a Blu-ray player/burner. He has always used the VGA port on the motherboard for his monitor. VGA won't play Blu-ray so he tried the HDMI port on the motherboard and it appears dead and no signal. Is there a setting in the bios or device manager to make that work? He doesn't want to put a graphics card in the computer except as a last option.

Thanks 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 18th, 2020 03:00

I suspect incompatibility with Win 10 is the problem.  This is a "legacy" model and Dell does not support Win 10 in this model.  In addition, even though it runs Win 10, not all older hardware is supported by later Win 10 builds.   I wouldn't even put any $$ into any hardware (e.g. blu ray) upgrade as it may have compatibility issues with that.

2.5K Posts

March 18th, 2020 04:00

10  years old today 2010, core i5?  chipset. H57,  GPU card? , but does have VGA/HDMI on board (iGPU

the iGPU has no w10 HDMI support. period, VGA limphome yes...

the only cure  a  GPU card, but you said no, so NO..

Have a neighbor that has an Inspiron 580 that he updated to Windows 10 when Microsoft was giving out the freebee's. (Don't know if that would make a difference) He now wants to install a Blu-ray player/burner. He has always used the VGA port on the motherboard for his monitor. VGA won't play Blu-ray so he tried the HDMI port on the motherboard and it appears dead and no signal. (blue-ray works put it in  W10 supports it , at MS)

(w10  does not support (nor dell) this iGPU nor HDMI onboard. (MS has limphome mode loaded crude)

the cure for that a  used, GPU card, for HDMI,  (no monitor stated is this TV?)

the cheapest cards are AMD 5000 + series up w10 support not lower.

or GTX7xx  (series 700 up) not lower, for W10 or is dead...

Is there a setting in the bios or device manager to make that work?NO

CARD you said no.

but gtx7xx , series yes w10

AMD HD 5000 series up, yes.

below  no W10 support.

2.5K Posts

March 18th, 2020 04:00

dell sold back then this card

HD8570

with hdmi.  and are cheap used.

never upgrade to w10 unless willing to upgrade things w10 does not support.. (vast things are not supported)

ok>?  or run LInux?

things that can fail are, (w10 update free)

• CPU fails to allow 64bit support, NX bit and all that.
  • Intels HD old iGPU are not supported (only limp mode supported via MS PnP actions..(you are there)
  • RST raid in south bridge DOA, older than series 100 chip set like H110 is ok lower# NO. true it off in BIOS fixed and cured, with 1 click.
  • Sound/audio  dead or vastly limited in scope. buy a USB sound dongle spend $4
  • the Wifi card old dead, buy new one spend $4, or go USB DONGLE.
  • lots of USB devices owned can be now dead, w10 ended support on 1000s. (case by case)

I have windows 10 64bit running on 2005 PC,  but had to update some things... I will only spend  $10 , on old iron me.

2.5K Posts

March 18th, 2020 06:00

I did not common on DRM

playing movies BLU-RAY? the GPU card needs to support all that, IDK what it needs but is a topic.

to play blu-ray movies (real)

you need the Player drive, sure..

and VLC player free (google it) you need that to play most of 100s of video formats, get that next.
The VLC has all CODEC you need do this..

I will assume 1080P not 4K movies, ok?

DRM limits. are just that.

Digital Rights Management)

DRM rules are strict,

Including sound driver compliance not just  HDMI.

your PC can be  upgraded but you will not.

CPU

Intel 7th generation (Kaby Lake) Core i processors and above that support the Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) technology.

I told you this just to show VGA is not the only block here, DRM is very very strict on HW.

basically the whole PC is DRM FAILED..

the cure is plug a real Blu-ray player into TV HDMI port #1 and play the disk, nothing works better nor cheaper.

even walmart has players.. DVD/.Blu-ray $56

or use VUDU (walmart owns it) and play your movie there, you can even add them there, ask. I have a 100 there)

(I assumed they have  TV 10 year or less and has SMART screens)

5.6K Posts

March 18th, 2020 07:00

@lynne4270 

I also try to get every last ounce of use from a PC, but buying both a Blu-ray drive and new video card even if both are not new is not the wisest use of $$$ for this PC.

Don't do it.

However, this PC has a lot of life left in it for regular use and should be donated if your neighbor does not want it anymore. Note that the Windows 10 license is valuable so do not donate the PC without Windows 10 installed.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 18th, 2020 07:00

Blue Ray works fine with Blue Ray drive that has been set for your region and has Cyberlogic Power DVD software version 12 or higher.  Earlier versions are no longer supported. VLC player DOES NOT SUPPORT AVCHD BLUERAY VIDEO.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Easiest way is to use USB2 version of the drive that comes with the software.

You also need GT1030 video card because the onboard graphics is too slow to play Blueray.

So you need 2 parts.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/msi-gt-1030-2g-lp-oc-graphic-card-2-gb-gddr5-pcie-30-x16-low-profile-hdmi-displayport/apd/aa362018/graphic-video-cards

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewriter-black/9243009.p?skuId=9243009

Why blueray wont play.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01110409/

No Events found!