antiwarvet
1 Nickel

Inspiron 580, won't boot after new win 7 install

Installed new HD for inspiron 580. Installed win 7 recovery discs made after purchase of PC. Can't get it to boot to windows after this. Did a diagnostics test and it showed my memory failed. Do I need new memory sticks? PC is 9 yrs. old. Not able to attach pics, as the files are too large. Don't know how to reduce size. Need some help, please. Please send me an email, so I can show you the screen pics.

Thanks, Richard

<Email id removed>

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Re: Help with inspiron 580. Won't boot after new win 7 insta

If you ran diagnostics with F12 at boot, and you had a memory failure error then yes the RAM modules will have to be replaced.

But with a 10 year old system, just how much do you want to spend on repairs? The system is very old technology and even some of the more basic new systems will vastly outperform it. It may be time to consider a new, modern, far superior new system. And you should be able to use the new SATA drive in a new system.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
antiwarvet
1 Nickel

Re: Help with inspiron 580. Won't boot after new win 7 insta

This PC worked great until the hard drive failure. My wife uses it primarily for checking her email and playing some Facebook games. So, I don't have any problem with dropping a little money into it. It is basically a backup unit, as we have a relatively new Dell XPS. Do you feel certain it is a memory failure? If you could send me an email, I would like to show the screen shots on the monitor of what it says. my email addy is   antiwarvet@att.net. Thank you for your response.

Richard

0 Kudos