Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2018 22:00

Inspiron 620, Plugged in 220v, 110v switch was on

Plugged my 620 Inspiron 620 into 220v power source, but input switch on back was set at 110v. Bang! No power. Discussion boards mention fuse, no fuse, ATX, special Dell hardware, power units, etc. I am not sure how to proceed. I am not technical at all but am willing to try to fix this with good advice. Please help!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 7th, 2018 10:00

Buy a different computer.

Keep the old HDD and install it in an external USB enclosure (or on a USB drive-tester). Properly try to recover your few data files from it. If it doesn't work, they might have gotten erased back during the disastrous event anyway.

Next time, I suggest you make backups (to USB flash drive, cloud, or similar) BEFORE you accidentally blow-up the computer. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 7th, 2018 07:00

@Oroshwe wrote:
Plugged my 620 Inspiron into 220v power source, but input switch on back was set at 110v. Bang! No power.

I am not sure how to proceed. I am not technical at all 

It might have blown the power-supply or worse.

I doubt a 7 year old entry-level computer is worth spending much money on, but if you do then I suggest you have a local qualified person take a look at it.

3 Posts

October 7th, 2018 08:00

I appreciate the response. Unfortunately I am now in remote country with few/no good computer experts. So, can I try to replace the psu myself? Can I even find one online? Or, if I give up on it, can I recover the info on the hard drive? Thank you!

3 Posts

October 10th, 2018 08:00

Thank you for the response. I will figure out how to take out the Hard Drive and use the info in my new computer. (BTW, I tried multiple time to back up this Dell since I bought it, but each time, after waiting hours for the backup process, I always got a message that said it was unsuccessful. I have backed up all my other devices.) I appreciate the feedback.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 10th, 2018 10:00

@Oroshwe wrote:
1. Thank you for the response. I will figure out how to take out the Hard Drive and use the info in my new computer.

2. (BTW, I tried multiple time to back up this Dell since I bought it, but each time, after waiting hours for the backup process, I always got a message that said it was unsuccessful. 

1. You are welcome. Be very careful with old HDD after it is removed. It is very delicate.

2. Sometimes "a backup" is simply a Docs or pics folder copied onto a DVD, flash drive, or cloud space.

No Events found!