Highlighted
Joxter3
1 Nickel

Inspiron 660, ViewSonic VA2055SM, not working

Dell Inspiron 660. ViewSonic VA2055SM monitor. DVI cable.

I replaced my Dell monitor with a ViewSonic. Turn the PC on and it starts with a signal, then says no signal. Only works in safe mode. Viewsonic says to update driver in Device Manager/Monitor. There is no Monitor listed in the device manager. I tried the original monitor and acts the same way.

The original monitor had a USB cable connected to it, the new one does not.

Thanks, Rich

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Inspiron 660, ViewSonic VA2055SM, not working

Was this your original setup?
Inspiron 660 added bottom back video card DVI out port --> DVI to DVI cable --> Dell monitor DVI in port

And this is your new setup?
Inspiron 660 added bottom back video card DVI out port --> DVI to DVI cable --> ViewSonic VA2055SM DVI in port

Have you tested this?
Inspiron 660 top blue VGA out port --> VGA to VGA cable --> ViewSonic VA2055SM VGA in port

For my notes, send me via Private Message the Inspiron 660 service tag number.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos
Joxter3
1 Nickel

The original set-up had an additional USB cord to back of Dell Monitor.

I did not try using the VGA port, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

0 Kudos

Understood, but the USB cable has nothing to do with video, so I did not mention it.
What was the Dell monitor model?
If there is an added video card installed, what is it? What video out ports are on it?

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
0 Kudos
Joxter3
1 Nickel

This is crazy, the monitor is made in Mexico but the Model # is in Chinese! Near as I can tell it may be BQR-2007WFPB, made in 2007. Thanks for your input, I am going to try the VGA cable now.

0 Kudos
Joxter3
1 Nickel

Ok, I tried the VGA cable. Looks like everything is working ok. When I tried to install the driver I could not see it on the list in my ViewSonic folder (where they said it should be). But when I tried to install it from where I downloaded the driver, it said it was already installed.

And I found that my DVI cable is actually a HDMI (at the pc) to a DVI (at the monitor). I didn't notice that before because I didn't change the cable, I re-used it without looking at the pc end.

I would like to use the DVI cable but I am thinking its not going to work unless I figure what is wrong with that connection.

Thanks, Rich

0 Kudos

So not a DVI to DVI cable, a HDMI to DVI cable? Or do you have some converters in the mix? I need the Inspiron 660 service tag number to know if there is an added video card installed. Send it to me via Private Message.

Regardless of whether you use the $99 ViewSonic VA2055SM VGA in or DVI in, the ViewSonic VA2055SM will only do 1920x1080 60Hz. You are not going to "see" the difference between its VGA and DVI.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
0 Kudos
Joxter3
1 Nickel

Yes, HDMI > DVI connection. I re-connected the HDMI cable and it works fine. For some reason I couldn't use that cable initially, but the VGA cable worked and I was able to load the proper drivers, then switch back to the DVI connection. Thanks!

Richard

0 Kudos