Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

5 Posts

May 9th, 2018 08:00

Inspiron 660, ViewSonic VA2055SM, not working

Dell Inspiron 660. ViewSonic VA2055SM monitor. DVI cable.

I replaced my Dell monitor with a ViewSonic. Turn the PC on and it starts with a signal, then says no signal. Only works in safe mode. Viewsonic says to update driver in Device Manager/Monitor. There is no Monitor listed in the device manager. I tried the original monitor and acts the same way.

The original monitor had a USB cable connected to it, the new one does not.

Thanks, Rich

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 9th, 2018 08:00

Was this your original setup?
Inspiron 660 added bottom back video card DVI out port --> DVI to DVI cable --> Dell monitor DVI in port

And this is your new setup?
Inspiron 660 added bottom back video card DVI out port --> DVI to DVI cable --> ViewSonic VA2055SM DVI in port

Have you tested this?
Inspiron 660 top blue VGA out port --> VGA to VGA cable --> ViewSonic VA2055SM VGA in port

For my notes, send me via Private Message the Inspiron 660 service tag number.

5 Posts

May 9th, 2018 09:00

The original set-up had an additional USB cord to back of Dell Monitor.

I did not try using the VGA port, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 9th, 2018 12:00

Understood, but the USB cable has nothing to do with video, so I did not mention it.
What was the Dell monitor model?
If there is an added video card installed, what is it? What video out ports are on it?

5 Posts

May 9th, 2018 13:00

This is crazy, the monitor is made in Mexico but the Model # is in Chinese! Near as I can tell it may be BQR-2007WFPB, made in 2007. Thanks for your input, I am going to try the VGA cable now.

5 Posts

May 9th, 2018 14:00

Ok, I tried the VGA cable. Looks like everything is working ok. When I tried to install the driver I could not see it on the list in my ViewSonic folder (where they said it should be). But when I tried to install it from where I downloaded the driver, it said it was already installed.

And I found that my DVI cable is actually a HDMI (at the pc) to a DVI (at the monitor). I didn't notice that before because I didn't change the cable, I re-used it without looking at the pc end.

I would like to use the DVI cable but I am thinking its not going to work unless I figure what is wrong with that connection.

Thanks, Rich

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 10th, 2018 07:00

So not a DVI to DVI cable, a HDMI to DVI cable? Or do you have some converters in the mix? I need the Inspiron 660 service tag number to know if there is an added video card installed. Send it to me via Private Message.

Regardless of whether you use the $99 ViewSonic VA2055SM VGA in or DVI in, the ViewSonic VA2055SM will only do 1920x1080 60Hz. You are not going to "see" the difference between its VGA and DVI.

5 Posts

May 12th, 2018 09:00

Yes, HDMI > DVI connection. I re-connected the HDMI cable and it works fine. For some reason I couldn't use that cable initially, but the VGA cable worked and I was able to load the proper drivers, then switch back to the DVI connection. Thanks!

Richard

No Events found!