Highlighted
Etchman
Bronze

Inspiron 660, memory upgrade failed

Jump to solution

I have 4GB of memory and would like to add another 4GB. I contacted a supplier who sent me several modules, none of which worked in combination with the existing Dell-installed module. At each attempt I first tried the existing module in slot #1 and the supplier module in slot #2. I then reversed the modules and got the same result. However the supplier's modules did work when I tried each one on its own, that is without the Dell-supplied one in place. The new supplier modules which I tried were as follows:

Attempt no        Chipset       Voltage
==========        =======       =======
     1             1Rx8          1.35v
     2             2Rx8          1.35v
     3             2Rx8          1.5v

I then removed the Dell-supplied module and installed two supplier modules of 4GB each (same spec as attempt #1) and this too didn't work. Any suggestions?

Here's a photo of the existing module: 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xwstqkg0aSZKcdlHhhiHsMoEOPfNs8nj

BTW I don't understand anything about chipsets and voltages, I'm just repeating what the supplier has told me!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies

Re: Inspiron 660 - memory upgrade failed

Jump to solution

Below are the Dell validated 4GB memory =
P382H 4GB, 1333MHz, DDR3, 512x64, 8K, 240 Pin, 256x4, Dual Rank, Unbuffered, 1.5v, Non-ECC
60KD4 4GB, 1333MHz, DDR3, 512x64, 8K, 240 Pin, 256X4, Dual Rank, Unbuffered, 1.5v, Non-ECC
VT8FP 4GB, 1600MHz, DDR3, 256X64, 8K, 240 Pin, 256x8, Dual Rank, Unbuffered, 1.5v, Non-ECC
531R8 4GB, 1600MHz, DDR3, 512x64, 8K, 240 Pin, 512x8, Single Rank, Unbuffered, 1.5v, Non-ECC

What was the part number of the original Dell 4GB memory?

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message:
Dell Monitor Service Tag number, 20 digit S/N, A0x revision
Dell PC Service Tag number

Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

0 Kudos
Etchman
Bronze

Jump to solution

The Order Confirmation has this line:

370-22605 Memory : 4096MB (1x4096) 1600MHz DDR3

Is that what you need?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

No. Look at the memory stick for a label.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

0 Kudos
Etchman
Bronze

Jump to solution

M378B5273DH0-CK0 1203
4GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800U-11-11-B1

Those are the numbers on the label so I guess one of them is the part number. Please see photo of label here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xwstqkg0aSZKcdlHhhiHsMoEOPfNs8nj

0 Kudos
Etchman
Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi Chris,

You wrote "That appears to be the one that you bought from the supplier? I meant the original Dell memory stick that was installed by us."

The photo is of the original Dell-supplied memory stick.

(I'm replying to your email because I can't see your post in this thread.)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Then the supplier removed all of the original Dell memory and installed the retail Samsung M378B5273DH0-CK0 1203. My advice, contact the supplier and ask them to sell you either a matching retail Samsung M378B5273DH0-CK0 1203 4GB memory stick. Or buy two 4GB of the above Dell memory sticks.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

0 Kudos
Etchman
Bronze

Jump to solution

I'm sorry Chris, I haven't explained my situation clearly. The history is as follows:-

* in 2012 I bought the pc from Dell with 4GB of memory
* no modifications have been made to the pc since, so the photo I have supplied is of the original Dell-installed memory
* I now want to upgrade to 8GB so I contacted a memory supplier and bought a 4GB memory stick to add to the existing memory
* I have tried various memory sticks provided by the same memory supplier, none of which have worked. All the experiments are detailed in my previous posts.

But - although I have tried to be very careful with the swapping of memory sticks, I guess there is a very small chance that I have made a mistake and have accidentally left a new memory stick in the pc and have sent the original Dell one to the memory supplier. I will contact him on Monday and ask him to confirm, but I would be very surprised if I have made such a mistake.

0 Kudos
fhill
Bronze

Jump to solution

I don’t know why you’re getting heartburn over this. All you have to do is go here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-660 and select the memory you want. It’s that simple. I’ve used crucial to upgrade many PCs and they have never failed me. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Etchman
Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give them a try. I won't close this thread though, until I know that their service works.

0 Kudos