Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

3 Posts

May 13th, 2019 21:00

Inspiron 660s, does not recognize USB keyboard or mouse, even for BIOS/POST

Hey all,

I've got a Inspiron 660s (Windows 7) that stopped recognizing USB keyboards/mice. Tried quite a few known good mice and keyboards with no luck. Tested all USB Ports front and back.

Was able to remote desktop into the box and found that the mouse/keyboards showed up as "Unrecognized Devices"

Deleted devices and USB root Hubs re-scanned and rebooted no change. Was able to plug in USB flash drive and it recognized/mounted.

Used to flash drive to re-image to Win 10 (full refresh keep nothing etc). No change, PC still does not recognize mouse/meyboard.

Unplugged HDD to force PC to stay in POST/BIOS F1/F2 screen. Keyboards not recognized in POST cannot get into BIOS setup.

Pulled all plugs and drained power with power button and reconnected. No change.

Removed CMOS battery to reset BIOS. No Change.

As I said USB recognizes flash sticks but not mice or keyboards (Keyboard or Mouse won't even light up).

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 14th, 2019 03:00

Considering what you have done, I would suspect a BIOS/Motherboard problem. The BIOS has to properly recognize the devices first. Its not doing it, even after resetting the BIOS and clearing CMOS memory so you are stuck with most likely a motherboard (BIOS hardware) problem.

May 14th, 2019 09:00

Only other thing (and I'm not sure it even applies in this situation) would be to make sure the drivers are up to date. You should be able to remote in and update the drivers for those "Unrecognized Devices". Scan for new hardware as well. Totally agree with @fireberd with the BIOS/MOBO issue. Have you tried a wireless keyboard and mouse?? That would be interesting to know if that worked or not. Best of luck!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 14th, 2019 13:00

Try using an externally powered USB2 hub. With PC powered off, connect the hub's power brick to the wall and plug the hub into a rear USB2 port. Connect mouse and keyboard to the hub. Boot up only after everything is connected.

If that helps, reboot a couple of times and confirm that M+K both still work after each reboot. Assuming they continue to work, and with PC on and at the desktop, unplug K from the hub (do not disconnect the hub from PC or from the wall; just unplug K from hub). Now connect K to different rear USB port and without rebooting, does K work now? If K not working, reboot and test again.

If K is working again when connected directly to PC, not through the hub, reboot and see if K continues to work and also test M (still connected through the hub). Then reboot a couple of more times, confirming K and M work after each reboot.

If K still works, and with PC on and at the desktop, disconnect M from hub, but leave hub connected to PC and to the wall. Connect M to different rear USB2 port and test both M+K.  If both are working when connected directly to the PC, reboot a couple of times and confirm they still work while connected directly to PC, with hub connected too.

Last, with PC on and at desktop, disconnect the hub from the PC (M+K connected directly to rear USB2 ports) and assuming M+K still work after hub is disconnected, reboot a couple of times and confirm they still work. And if you're lucky... :Smile:

If K and/or M only work when connected to the hub but either fails when connected directly to the PC, you have an inexpensive work-around...

May 14th, 2019 14:00

No go, Got a Dell powered hub hooked up still doesn't recognize any wired/wireless mouse/keyboard from the hub in any port back or front.

Looks like it's time for a replacement.

May 14th, 2019 14:00

When I re-imaged with win 10 I had it run update to grab all drivers. Prior when I was using remote desktop I had tried updating the drivers for win 7 but they were already up to date. No difference trying to use wireless mice/keyboards.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 14th, 2019 15:00

Odd that it recognizes a USB flash drive but not the mouse or keyboard.

Guess you'll have to decide whether to replace the motherboard or get a new PC...

No Events found!