Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

February 7th, 2019 07:00

Inspiron 7459, does not turn on after a failed Bios update

After I confirmed the Dell automatic updates ( one was a Bios), which took a long time, I had to disconnect the PC from the power source. The PC does not turn on at all. Looked for troubleshooting suggestion but nothing worked so far. The cabe seems fine even the LED light at the end of the cable is on, but there is absolutely no sign of life from the PC. I appreciate your suggestions.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 8th, 2019 05:00

The following link should help. Your system supports BIOS Recovery. If this does not help, you can pull the CMOS (coin cell) battery and leave it out of the system for 15 minutes then reinsert and try to boot again.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

2 Posts

February 8th, 2019 07:00

Thanks for your reply. I did as you said, but the system does not turn on at all.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 8th, 2019 11:00

If your system is still under warranty, read Dell's BIOS update policy and contact Dell Tech Support.

If it's no longer under warranty, you'll have to replace the motherboard, either yourself or get someone to do it for you. And there's always Dell's Out of Warranty Repair service.

February 9th, 2019 07:00

my friend got the same problem with his inspiron 7459, tried it all but nothing helps, power on light comes on 1 sec., fan spins and after that it shuts off again. Does that mean the update killed his computer that is pretty harsh no ? if so is there a way to recover everything from his hard drive cause i can't get it to boot when i try it in my pc ?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 9th, 2019 12:00

@Missy Devily wrote:

my friend got the same problem with his inspiron 7459, tried it all but nothing helps, power on light comes on 1 sec., fan spins and after that it shuts off again. Does that mean the update killed his computer that is pretty harsh no ? if so is there a way to recover everything from his hard drive cause i can't get it to boot when i try it in my pc ?

Did your friend do a BIOS update using SupportAssist? If yes, read this about BIOS recovery options

If that doesn't help, and PC is under warranty, read the link I posted in my previous post. If not under warranty, you'll have to purchase the motherboard and get it installed. Or contact Dell Out Of Warranty Repair.

You can't take a hard drive from one PC and expect it to boot in another PC unless they're exactly the same hardware. You can install the hard drive as a secondary (non-boot) drive in the other PC or install it in an external hard drive enclosure that connects to another PC by USB to rescue the files.

May 8th, 2019 02:00

I have the same issue with my 7459. I offered to clean up my parents PC while i was visiting. I noticed they had a "urgent update" in the dell maintenance app. It was a bios update so i knew to be very careful. Clicked INSTALL UPDATE and left the PC for a few hours. DEAD!  the bios update must have been corrupt or incorrectly coded.  Either way, DELL is at fault!

Mark.

No Events found!