Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

10 Posts

June 10th, 2018 00:00

Inspiron 27-7775 AIO, refurbished, overheating

Had a quality refurbished machine. As soon as play any game which is modern ie overwatch fortnite etc the machines fans get really loud then a buzzing noise then shut down to black screen. Then have to hold power and reboot. Only had machine a few days. The spec of the machine should be able to run these games easily yet it overheats. Running all diagnostic checks etc it passes all those. I have latest drivers BIOS etc. Do Dell just not expect people to play these games or is this just a faulty unit?

Any ideas gratefully received. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 10th, 2018 04:00

An AIO is basically a laptop type motherboard and a desktop video display.  Laptops/AIO do not have the CPU or case cooling that a desktop has and thus can overheat more easily.  I wouldn't consider an AIO a "gaming" PC.  

However, as this is a refurbished unit there may be some hardware problems or it was not properly cleaned during refurbishing.  

10 Posts

June 10th, 2018 05:00

Yes I have a Acer AIO now which manages and is a lot lower spec. This Dell has a rx580 and a ryzen 7 so should cope with 10 minutes of Fortnite or Overwatch etc what without failing . Thanks anyway hopefully they will refund . As it is advertised as a VR machine but can t cope with any games without crashing will await there response ...

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 10th, 2018 05:00

I would ask for a refund, if it is under a refund/return option.  

I would suspect the reason this is a "refurb" unit is still present and wasn't fully refurbished/repaired.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 10th, 2018 06:00

You should run the Dell pre-Windows ePSA Diagnostics and post the results.

* Turn the system off
* Disconnect all additional external USB drives from the system. Leaving only the USB mouse and USB keyboard attached directly to the system
* Turn the system on
* Tap the F12 key at the Dell splash screen on start up
* Choose Diagnostics from the menu or choose Boot to Utility Partition and then look for Diagnostics

10 Posts

June 10th, 2018 09:00

I did that yesterday and it says passed I have also done the diagnostics on support pages etc. I have done a clean install to windows as well and re installed all my software I had put on. All seems ok fans loud though but don't mind that.

However then on any game and I have tried quite a few it makes loud fan noise then a high pitched noise. Then a grey screen then shut down. Then have to press and hold power button and restart. 

Even L of legends which is free to play and not that taxing. 

If it was just one game maybe a incompatibility issue but this is any modern game I have tried. 

Shall I try full bios diagnostic again the one which takes 4 hours ? 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 11th, 2018 05:00

Could be a faulty AC adapter. You have the 1 year "Collect and Return" warranty through June 3, 2019. If you decide to NOT return it for refund inside the first 30 days from the invoice date, Technical Support can setup a return to depot repair.

8 Posts

June 11th, 2018 07:00

Hi Chris,

I have exactly the same issue: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-7775-Shutdowns-while-gaming/m-p/5975667 

1) How many units have this kind of an issue?

2) What is the process to re-paste the CPU?

3) How will the replacement of AC change this?

4) Will the Tech Support also help in Switzerland (where I have bought the unit?)

Thanks!

10 Posts

June 11th, 2018 09:00

I have just arrived home from work and thought would try again. 

Set up a game used lower resolution than normal. 

Within 2 minutes. Screen goes grey a buzzing noise system shuts off. Hold power button in then reload.

Same Kernel error in Event Viewer.

Fans not even that loud this time. GPU was not at maximum load. With it being low resolution. Temp only 64°

So assuming it not the graphics card. 

As you say it must be power supply problem.

Either the power brick itself. Or the area of the motherboard or wherever it goes to inside the casing. Possibly a voltage motherboard issue. When under any kind of load?

Very disappointed as the screen the speakers etc are amazing. 

10 Posts

I think I will refund the unit. As I only received it last Friday. To need replacement parts within the first few days it is not a good sign. Much as I love the system other than that. 

I would not want to go effort of sending it all back to just replace an external power supply. Then to find after waiting ages something else is causing the problem. 

It certainly has to be either the power supply or the graphics card temperature. Although I have monitored that. 

The GPU is working 100% but Temp is only about 67° to 71° c. right before the crash. So either temperature spikes or the wattage draw is not enough. Or the voltage is an issue.

The GPU should be able to work at max load for ages. I would expect temperature to be 80° plus before that was a problem. 

Right before it makes a noise and cuts off the fans are very loud. So could be a temperature spike on GPU?

Either way very disconcerting less than a week into ownership!! 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

I am pro Dell and have been working this forum since 2002.  However, I've seen refurbished units that had problems of one sort or another.  Some "refurbished" are just cancelled orders or returns with no problems.  However others are ones with a problem and unfortunately the problem does not show up during refurb.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 11th, 2018 16:00

KubaM,

1) How many units have this kind of an issue?
* No idea. We are not given that kind of data.

2) What is the process to re-paste the CPU?
* The disassembly will be listed in the Inspiron 27-7775 Service Manual. The process for cleaning and applying thermal paste is the same for every CPU.

3) How will the replacement of AC change this?
* The conjecture is that the AC adapter is faulty, not the CPU or GPU.

4) Will the Tech Support also help in Switzerland (where I have bought the unit?)
* This is the USA Forum and I am in the USA. I cannot speak to Dell Switzerland policy.

8 Posts

October 15th, 2018 02:00

Hi Chris,

thanks for your feedback and sorry for the somewhat late reply.

Can you find out if I can buy a more powerful power supply to test if this solves the issue?

Can you please see and comment what was written above:

Same Kernel error in Event Viewer.

Fans not even that loud this time. GPU was not at maximum load. With it being low resolution. Temp only 64°

So assuming it not the graphics card. 

As you say it must be power supply problem.

Either the power brick itself. Or the area of the motherboard or wherever it goes to inside the casing. Possibly a voltage motherboard issue. When under any kind of load?

1 Message

October 19th, 2018 10:00

Hi, i have recently purchased this machine, with Ryzen 5 and RTX580.

I am having the exact same problem  as Chris and would like to know if this is resolvable.

I've loaded the latest AMD drivers and still having the same issue.

October 25th, 2018 07:00

I was having the exact same issue, I did the optional AMD Radeon driver update version 18.10.1 and the issue completely vanished!

Here's the driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-10-1

Note: This driver has a silly bug where the system gets stuck for 2 secs for every 15 secs, the workaround here is to disable HDCP support - Radeon Settings > Display > Specs > Override > Disable HDCP Support.

Model: 27' 4k / RX 580 option

No Events found!