Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 10th, 2021 05:00

Inspiron G5 5000, misleading sales page image, heatsink

As many of us who have purchased an Inspiron G5 5000 Gaming Desktop were clearly mislead by the heatsink images on the product page. I would like to know if anyone was able to get any help from Dell support? My experience is that support just goes in circles, not addressing the real problem here. Was anyone able to get any satisfactory answers, or is the only recourse a product return?

Capture.JPG

363 Posts

March 19th, 2021 12:00

@wali3211 once I've upgraded the coolers (I ended up with 5 total fans, lol) and used ThrottleStop to remove the turbo boost limits on power and time, my system (i9 10900F, RTX3070, 64GB RAM) runs games really well. I play mostly flight simulators, which are CPU-heavy and I see a significant improvement from my old MSI gaming laptop, which had an i7-7850). The CPU never throttles, since the temps never go above 65 in gaming, so it runs at max full-core speed all the time. It's a good machine, but too bad I had to spend extra money to get the power I originally thought I was getting when I bought it.

• 

25.1K Posts

We are working on your case, we will get back to you.

5 Posts

How did you go with this? Mine was repaired under warrenty. Ran great and has now started cooking again.

8 Posts

March 10th, 2021 06:00

@Grantucus I had some back and forths with support where they asked me to run some of their tests. I did everything they asked and after a while they decided to send a technician to replace the heatsink. However, they replaced it with the exact same model, so obviously it didn't help. Then we continued our back and forths, ran the same tests again, but the core problem isn't being acknowledged. Honestly, I was just tired of all the messaging, so I decided it would be easier to just return the desktop.

5 Posts

March 10th, 2021 06:00

Yes. They replaced the heatsinks. Not sure what to do now. Frustrating. It did work for a time.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 10th, 2021 07:00

Legal Trolling is a violation of TOS.

363 Posts

March 12th, 2021 06:00

@MA40 I totally agree that it's misleading advertising and Dell is basically making us pay additional money to fully utilize the device we already paid thousands of dollars for. It's like selling you a car with bald tires.

I bought my G5 believing I would get the big CPU cooler pictured on the product page. I mean, what else would a knowledgeable technician put on a i9 10900 CPU, right? Well, surprise-surprise, I got the cooler that should never be installed on anything more than an i5 maybe. Temperatures were ridiculous even at idle. And under load, it would shoot up to thermal throttle levels in less than 30 seconds. 

So I was advertised (and paid for) the computing power of a 10-core 10900 CPU able to boost to 4.6GHz on all cores (or 5.2GHz on 2 cores), but in reality I got way less power than what I paid for, because the high temps would make the CPU reduce its speed within seconds.

I had to pay about $130 more out of pocket to buy proper case and CPU coolers on Amazon and bring the temperatures to acceptable levels (35-40 idle and 60-70 under heavy load) and use my CPU *almost* to the power I paid for. I'm saying "almost" because there's a gotcha on the power supply as well. Yes, on paper 500W is (barely) enough to run an i9 10900 + RTX3070 at base speeds. But under gaming load, when the GPU shoots to 220W TDP, there isn't much power headroom for the CPU to sustain boost and the system never attains its max potential that was advertised (and that I paid for).

So, again, technically, to really get the full power that was advertised to me (and that I paid for), I would have to spend more $ to get a 650W PSU, plus an adapter to fit Dell's proprietary motherboard connector. Another potential $200 "in-app purchase" on a system that cost over $2000 to begin with. This is not how you gain customer trust and loyalty.

March 17th, 2021 16:00

I have the same issue which have started recently in the past weeks.  I purchased my dell G5 desktop 4 months ago.  I have been on the phone with Dell for over 10 hours this week trying to resolve the issue.  Their final option was to do a factory reset, which I was reluctant to do but did anyway.  The problem has not resolved.  I have no control over the fans in any software.  I have the Alienware command centre which was working up until now, also the Radeon ATX 5300 software which has no control over the heat curve.  Temps are reaching 90C when running power hungry programs.  Waiting for another call tonight.

Discouraged dell customer

363 Posts

March 17th, 2021 17:00

@Mokajavablack unfortunately, the only realistic solution is to replace the CPU cooler with an aftermarket unit. There are lots of discussions here of folks replacing the cooler Dell installs on these computers with something like a Noctua NH-U9S. Get 4 16mm M3 screws and washers and you can install the cooler into the stock cooler mounts. It makes a world of difference, both in terms of temperatures and noise.

March 17th, 2021 23:00

Do you think Dell would mess their clients like that?  I just bought the PC 4 months ago.

363 Posts

March 18th, 2021 05:00

@Mokajavablack if you got the same tiny CPU cooler as many of us, then yes, you have been duped like we were. The pictures they put on the product page showing a big cooler are misleading advertising. Those of use who paid for non-K CPUs did not get what the product page led us to believe we would get. Opening support cases would at most get your cooler replaced with one of the same model, as other people have reported on the forum. They won't send you the bigger cooler.

Either that or their system engineers have no idea what they're doing. The cooler that came with my i9 10900 is something even an inexperienced PC builder would not put on a 10-core 5.2GHZ beast of a processor. It thermal throttled at light load and never reached the full speed & power I paid for. I had to invest more money to be able to achieve the computing power that was advertised to me and that I paid for.

1 Message

March 19th, 2021 07:00

using other brands how is dell new mobo or system good for gaming

March 21st, 2021 01:00

Hello, 

We hope you are well. We can see that you are still facing issues with the AWCC after the reinstall. We can try a few more troubleshooting steps over a remote session. Do get back to us at the earliest. 

Regards,

Aniketh S

1 Message

May 9th, 2021 09:00

I have the same issue your cpu cooler or heat sink is not same as in the picture and i would like one sent to me or i will file complaint or sent it back.

No Events found!