Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2019 11:00

Inspiron G5-5090, CPU cooler?

Hi, 

Normally, I build my own PC but I decided to go with a pre-built with DELL because the deal was too good to pass up. It just arrived on my doorstep, (a new Inspiron G5-5090 desktop) and everything seems to be in order. The only thing I noticed is that the CPU cooler pictured on this non-Dell website is different than the one I got. 

Capture.JPG

I got a much cheaper one. I'm guessing this is normal but I just wanted to make sure since this is my first DELL. I assume the one pictured on the website is reserved for different CPU's. I have a i7-9700 (non-K) if that matters. 

Thanks,

29 Posts

June 22nd, 2020 00:00

I did see that in the BIOS. I'll give it a go later tonight. Thanks for the suggestion!

29 Posts

June 22nd, 2020 00:00

Thanks to this forum, I've got  much cooler running G5 5090 now.

Ordered the TX3 Evo cooler (which arrived before my PC did!). Managed to not muck up the thermal paste and now idle temps sit around 23-26deg and even during Intel Stress test it doesn't hit much more than about 60deg.

Since this thread is a plethora of information, I did have a couple of questions

I had an Arctic Cooler PWM 92mm fan installed in the rear which ran at a nice low speed - but since the system did a BIOS update, it seems to run at max speed and has made the PC quite loud. Any tips? Would the Alienware software help?

I also installed a Silverstone PCIe x4 M.2 adapter card with 1TB M2 SSD into Slot 4, but it doesnt show as detected in the BIOS (says Slot4 is empty) and it also does not show in Windows. Is our Slot 4 disabled? Or do I have a faulty adapter? (tested the 1TB and it's fine).

Thanks all for the great advice on the machine so far! Next on the list is upgrading to 2x16GB sticks of RAM

18 Posts

June 22nd, 2020 16:00

Has anyone had luck using the hyper 212 by coolermaster?

5 Posts

June 29th, 2020 06:00

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info to this thread, I upgraded my cooling system for the Dell G5 5090 (i7 9700, GeForce RTX 2070S). I performed the following changes:

* Replaced the stock CPU cooler with Coolermaster Hyper TX3.

* Replace the rear stock fan with a Noctua 92mm fan.

* Add the original stock rear fan to the front using a fan splitter that came with the Noctua fan.

The table below shows the temperatures of the CPU and GPU using the Alienware Command Centre before and after the cooling upgrade. Both temperature samples were obtained after running the PC for a few hours of gaming.

BEFORE

CPU GPU
51 78

AFTER

CPU GPU
38 61

(Can't upload pics, don't know why).

14 Posts

July 1st, 2020 23:00

Could anyone tell me the part number for the larger K series cooler and whether I can order the part from Dell for my non-K i7 9700?

July 3rd, 2020 10:00

@Noorss how did you attach the fan at the front? 

29 Posts

July 6th, 2020 00:00

FWIW, yet another PCIE to NVMe adapter solved my issues - I used the following to install another 1TB M2 drive into Slot 4

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07SF7H9WM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This coupled with a SATA 1TB SSD means I have enough space for now

I also tried switching to a Noctua NF-B9 Redux fan, but it throws a BIOS error everytime I cold boot (which is annoying). So I've installed my Arctic back in, but it's running full speed so way noisier. I can't win lol.

So on the hunt for a fan that actually works or sticking my OEM one back in the rear for now.

5 Posts

July 9th, 2020 17:00

Hi @Noorss I was wondering if you could email me pics or even a short video of your layout if you can as I'm looking to upgrade my 5090 too in terms of cooling and the 2060 to 2070s it'd be highly appreciated if you can

5 Posts

July 10th, 2020 18:00

Follow the steps below to use the old stock fan for the front.

1. Remove the stock fan from the back including the rubber mounts.

2. Remove the plastic cover from the front of the PC, carefully by loosening the clips.

3. Once the front plastic cover is removed, there are plenty of holes available at the front to use with the rubber mounts.

4. Choose 4 of the holes which will roughly align the fan with the CPU cooling level.

5. Attach the rubber mounts first, then carefully pull and attach the fan. 

Hopefully, that helps!

5 Posts

July 10th, 2020 19:00

Hey @Noorss  any visual aid possible and thank you for the steps !!

5 Posts

July 10th, 2020 23:00

Hi all,

Some people requested a video/pics on how I performed my upgrades for my DELL G5 5090. Therefore, I made some quick videos that should help most of you that are still trying to perform these upgrades. 

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO Installation on DELL G5: https://youtu.be/-elCAKf02iA 

Noctua NF A9 92mm PWM Fan Installation on DELL G5: https://youtu.be/QI7QZRkDe2w 

Bonus DELL G5 upgrade, but not related to cooling:

Installing NVMe M.2 SSD and Regular SSD Hard Drive: https://youtu.be/VXudcSLtVTA 

798 Posts

July 11th, 2020 16:00

Link to that discussion on the XPS 8930 forum

798 Posts

July 11th, 2020 16:00

Some discussion on the XPS forum about this case which is used as the new XPS 8940.   So there will be a lot of similar discussion there on how to mod the case for airflow and lower CPU and GPU temps.  That PSU is really an issue if moving to higher end cards and likely for overall stability of the machine ....

This case airflow reminds me of the older XPS 8500/8700/8900 Chassis.  With a single 92mm rear fan as exhaust as stock OEM.  This case appears to come with a 80mm fan, but the mount holes are there to move to 92mm.   Why they didn't put a 120mm fan there who knows.   Perhaps the fit with the side panel in place......which is important in modding the case.

I am assuming from the pictures that the stock OEM cooler uses the LGA 1151.mount.

What you can do for liquid cooling the CPU would be

1) if a 120mm radiator can fit inside the case and still allow the side of the case to close, use the Corsair H60 (2018) model.  If the case is wide enough for a 120mm radiator/fan, that would be preferred.  The H60 is setup for the LGA 1151 mounting bracket out of the box.  Screw in 4 mounting bolts on the motherboard and fasten the pump with thumbscrews. 

Use is in the upper intake position (preferred) or as rear exhaust.  Again the key here is will the unit fit and still allow you to put the side of the case on.  If it will fit then you would need to drill 4 holes for mounting the radiator at the front intake position.  I did a similar mod here on the XPS 8930.  You can use a foam gasket from the radiator to the chassis if isn’t totally flat.

From this picture with the H60 in place on an earlier post, does the side panel still fit with the radiator/fan in place?

44.JPG

2) use the  Asetek SFF 92mm AIO CPU Cooler

I used a couple on the XPS 8300/8500 cases and they worked well.

2.jpg

Difficult to find the Asetek 545LC as it is no longer in production and you will pay a premium for it.  I sold both of my used units for almost $150.00 each.

The 545LC has been replaced by the 645LT cooler and with the 8086K chip temps are in the mid-60’s which isn’t bad for a 92mm radiator.

645_1.jpg

These 645LT should fit without any case mods as it does fit the LGA 1151 mounting bracket.  The hoses on the radiator do rotate and there appears to be room for the bend in the hoses.

Just more options and keep checking the XPS threads to see if anyone else has come up with more mods. 

With a front intake fan mounted, an air cooled CPU Cooler should be fine and you change the rear fan to the 92mm fan.  If a 120mm can work in either position, use it.   You can use auto moulding tape to hold it place....it won't go anywhere.

Good work here so far on this thread!

798 Posts

July 11th, 2020 17:00

From @theone0612 post......looks like a 120mm fan should fit

pc.jpeg

the question is will the H60 AIO  25mm wide fan + 27mm wide radiator in that front intake clear the RAM sticks..  

If not, use the Noctua 120 x 15mm wide fan instead, the NF A12 x 15 fans which are decent fans and come in black as well.  

I used them initially in the XPS 8930 mod, and they were great at keeping the i7 8700 temps in check.

The rear exhaust position looks okay for the Corsair H60, again check if any motherboard components are in the way of a 27mm radiator/25mm fan thickness......the 15mm wide fan again a viable option.

Front intake would still be preferable as cold air as intake would give you better temps and the airflow through that front bezel on this case looks decent as well.

798 Posts

July 11th, 2020 17:00

@Nafe75 

Consider mounting a 120mm fan at that rear exhaust and front intake positions?

No Events found!