Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2019 11:00

Inspiron G5-5090, CPU cooler?

Hi, 

Normally, I build my own PC but I decided to go with a pre-built with DELL because the deal was too good to pass up. It just arrived on my doorstep, (a new Inspiron G5-5090 desktop) and everything seems to be in order. The only thing I noticed is that the CPU cooler pictured on this non-Dell website is different than the one I got. 

Capture.JPG

I got a much cheaper one. I'm guessing this is normal but I just wanted to make sure since this is my first DELL. I assume the one pictured on the website is reserved for different CPU's. I have a i7-9700 (non-K) if that matters. 

Thanks,

July 18th, 2020 10:00

@HanoverB  Yes all Arctic fans connected to the chassis fan header except T2 CPU front fan is on the CPU fan header.  Thought about getting a CPU fan Y to have front and rear on the CPU header but can’t be bothered plus this is a hard budget build. Also my computer set up is in a utility room so the A/c is on par with my computer noise.

@m1k3_13  I made stand offs from the rear F9 fan to mount the other F9 fan against the T2 from a M3 standoffs kit from amazon. To mount the fans I used the case screws provided by the F9 fans (just philips screws that are self tapping and the size of the fan mount holes).  I added additional pictures below.

D808A755-28E3-48B5-97FC-8DF92D79584D.jpeg

771FFF21-B6A2-49F4-8376-F3E19241A801.jpeg

DC213333-0037-4095-B625-41087C560FC9.jpeg

96F7D3C7-DC82-4A33-9DD6-7DA5AB5E6978.jpeg

48 Posts

July 18th, 2020 10:00

@HotDogSlushie @HanoverB 

how did you fit the f9 arctic fan at the back of the T2 heat sink? Did it just clip on? 

Also what did u use to mount the stock 80mm fan to the front of ur case? 

thanks 

48 Posts

July 18th, 2020 11:00

@HotDogSlushie 

weird the pictures aren’t loading for me, they just show a yellow triangle....

798 Posts

July 18th, 2020 12:00

pics require moderator approval.......takes a little while.... sometimes longer on weekends.

48 Posts

July 19th, 2020 12:00

@HotDogSlushie 

Did you have to take off the routing guide clip to install the 80mm fan underneath the 3.5" HDD? If so, how did you take off the clip?

July 19th, 2020 16:00

@m1k3_13  The clip should just pull out.  I didn’t reuse it, just using zip ties instead. My computer is also a refurbished one with a new motherboard (Why I’m here since I got this 2 month old PC cheap) so the cable management is all messed up which is a future me with zip ties problem.  

Also for anyone wondering the stock fan at 100% or thermal throttling is 2 or more times louder then the Arctic F9 3pin ultra low noise fans I have running. Link - Arctic F9-92 mm https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002KTZJOQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RTnfFb9AZ6F76

29 Posts

July 19th, 2020 18:00

@m1k3_13 I would try taking the cooler off and re-seating it. From your temps it sounds like it's not making clean contact - maybe too much thermal paste? Or maybe not enough?

FWIW, I'm running the i7-9700 with the TX3 EVO Cooler and running the Intel Stress test the cores all peaked at 67-74deg but then settled at 57-62deg once the cooler fan upped to meet demand. Idle is just under 30deg, and runs up to 40deg when doing tasks in Windows etc.

I still have the stock 80mm fan in the back for now. I also have the front HDD cage and drive still installed, so no room for a fan there, and also have a 2070Super, so room for a fan below the cage is limited as the card is really long. Not that it would do much good as it would blow 2/3 of the air past the GPU and nowhere near the CPU!

I will look at options for mounting the 92mm fan in the back again when temps start to be a problem, but for now I'm happy with the cooling so I'll leave well enough alone and enjoy.

29 Posts

July 19th, 2020 19:00

@HanoverB - it's a lot of mucking around to get a fan down there, especially with a long GPU. My temps are fine as it is, even with the stock 80mm OEM rear fan. I understand about the airflow, but if I was going to muck around with that it would be doing it where the HDD is, but that's not an option for me personally.

If I was having massive temp problems like @m1k3_13 then I'd be exploring more, but I don't think his problem is case airflow, especially with his CPU temps being so high, I'd investigate if the cooler is actually mounted flush with the CPU first. With the stock cooler I would easily hit 100deg in the Intel test, now nowhere near - the only change being the CPU cooler.

798 Posts

July 19th, 2020 19:00

@Nafe75  wrote

Not that it would do much good as it would blow 2/3 of the air past the GPU and nowhere near the CPU!

It's not's so much where the air is being pointed at the lower intake position.  It's taking a negative pressure case with restricted airflow and introducing cooler air into the case to balance airflow which will lower overall temps period.   

Case pressure goes from negative (airflow greater for exhaust than it is for intake)  > balanced > positive (intake airflow is greater than exhaust).  

Take a look at lot of the modern designs and a lower intake fan position is pretty common and is preferred by some rather than the upper intake position as it gets cooler air to the GPU.  The GPU creates a lot of heat in the case especially if you have an axial fan cooler vs a founder's edition type blower..  A cooler running GPU decreases overall heat and improve efficiency which translates into more fps.

If you can install it in that lower position do it.   The longer GPU does block some of the airflow into the case but the cooler air coming into the case to balance case pressure is the idea here, cooler air will flow into the upper half of the case as the exhaust fan is pulling it up there.

48 Posts

July 19th, 2020 20:00

@Nafe75 @HanoverB @HotDogSlushie Here is a question for everyone.... When you guys installed your cpu cooler did you screw down all 4 screws with a manual screwdriver or a power one? The reason why I ask is because i screwed down all 4 with a power one just now and there was still room to screw down which means that the cooler wasn't making good contact with the cpu. I then ran the Support Assist Stress test and I now hit a maximum of 88C as opposed to 100C. (YAY) I am not sure if there is more room to screw down the screws with a power screwdriver ( as i was using a flimsy one) but now i ordered a fan splitter so my Setup will be the following: 80mm below the 3.5 HDD (held on by 1 screw...seems secure enough) T2 Cooler with 2 fans (one on each side 92mm each) 92mm Arctic Exhaust Fan.... Here is a pic of my current setup (keep in mind the fan behind the T2 is unplugged and the 80mm is not plugged as i haven't received the fan splitter as of yet. Current temps on Idle: CPU 37C GPU38C While Gaming max temps: CPU 88C GPU 79C Keep in mind my GPU is not a "blower Style" and is not from Dell.

48 Posts

July 19th, 2020 20:00

Where is the option to insert photos?

48 Posts

July 20th, 2020 07:00

Sorry wasnt able to post pictures before...

Here is a question for everyone.... When you guys installed your cpu cooler did you screw down all 4 screws with a manual screwdriver or a power one? The reason why I ask is because i screwed down all 4 with a power one just now and there was still room to screw down which means that the cooler wasn't making good contact with the cpu. I then ran the Support Assist Stress test and I now hit a maximum of 88C as opposed to 100C. (YAY) I am not sure if there is more room to screw down the screws with a power screwdriver ( as i was using a flimsy one) but now i ordered a fan splitter so my Setup will be the following:

• 80mm below the 3.5 HDD (held on by 1 screw...seems secure enough)
  • T2 Cooler with 2 fans (one on each side 92mm each)
  • 92mm Arctic Exhaust Fan

Here is a pic of my current setup (keep in mind the fan behind the T2 is unplugged and the 80mm is also unplugged as i haven't received the fan splitter as of yet. Current temps on Idle: CPU 37C GPU38C. If Rear exhaust fan is spinning full speed at idle then it becomes CPU:31C GPU 33C. While Gaming max temps (spike) are: CPU 88C GPU 79C Keep in mind my GPU is not a "blower Style" and is not from Dell.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

July 20th, 2020 08:00

@Nafe75  The 100deg CPU temp happened to my on the first install of the T2 cooler.  I checked with a feeler gauge and there was a couple thou gap even though there was decent thermal paste transfer it needs to be flush. You have to be careful the stand offs are not too long.

To fix this issue I flipped the T2 mounting brackets and it cut the required standoff hight by 70% and allowed for better torque and fitment on the CPU.

48 Posts

July 20th, 2020 10:00

@Gummy67 I'm pretty sure that GPU requires a way bigger PSU. Along the lines of a 650-700W...

5 Posts

July 20th, 2020 10:00

Guys looking at this I think I'm going to just change my cpu cooler and I was wondering is anyone using an aftermarket 2070S with the 460w model as i plan to get an asus blower 2070S
No Events found!