Inspiron Desktops

Last reply by 12-12-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Inspiron G5-5090, CPU cooler?

Hi, 

Normally, I build my own PC but I decided to go with a pre-built with DELL because the deal was too good to pass up. It just arrived on my doorstep, (a new Inspiron G5-5090 desktop) and everything seems to be in order. The only thing I noticed is that the CPU cooler pictured on this non-Dell website is different than the one I got. 

Capture.JPG

I got a much cheaper one. I'm guessing this is normal but I just wanted to make sure since this is my first DELL. I assume the one pictured on the website is reserved for different CPU's. I have a i7-9700 (non-K) if that matters. 

Thanks,

Replies (527)

@Nafe75 @HanoverB @HotDogSlushie Here is a question for everyone.... When you guys installed your cpu cooler did you screw down all 4 screws with a manual screwdriver or a power one? The reason why I ask is because i screwed down all 4 with a power one just now and there was still room to screw down which means that the cooler wasn't making good contact with the cpu. I then ran the Support Assist Stress test and I now hit a maximum of 88C as opposed to 100C. (YAY) I am not sure if there is more room to screw down the screws with a power screwdriver ( as i was using a flimsy one) but now i ordered a fan splitter so my Setup will be the following: 80mm below the 3.5 HDD (held on by 1 screw...seems secure enough) T2 Cooler with 2 fans (one on each side 92mm each) 92mm Arctic Exhaust Fan.... Here is a pic of my current setup (keep in mind the fan behind the T2 is unplugged and the 80mm is not plugged as i haven't received the fan splitter as of yet. Current temps on Idle: CPU 37C GPU38C While Gaming max temps: CPU 88C GPU 79C Keep in mind my GPU is not a "blower Style" and is not from Dell.

Where is the option to insert photos?

Sorry wasnt able to post pictures before...

Here is a question for everyone.... When you guys installed your cpu cooler did you screw down all 4 screws with a manual screwdriver or a power one? The reason why I ask is because i screwed down all 4 with a power one just now and there was still room to screw down which means that the cooler wasn't making good contact with the cpu. I then ran the Support Assist Stress test and I now hit a maximum of 88C as opposed to 100C. (YAY) I am not sure if there is more room to screw down the screws with a power screwdriver ( as i was using a flimsy one) but now i ordered a fan splitter so my Setup will be the following:

• 80mm below the 3.5 HDD (held on by 1 screw...seems secure enough)
  • T2 Cooler with 2 fans (one on each side 92mm each)
  • 92mm Arctic Exhaust Fan

Here is a pic of my current setup (keep in mind the fan behind the T2 is unplugged and the 80mm is also unplugged as i haven't received the fan splitter as of yet. Current temps on Idle: CPU 37C GPU38C. If Rear exhaust fan is spinning full speed at idle then it becomes CPU:31C GPU 33C. While Gaming max temps (spike) are: CPU 88C GPU 79C Keep in mind my GPU is not a "blower Style" and is not from Dell.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

@Nafe75  The 100deg CPU temp happened to my on the first install of the T2 cooler.  I checked with a feeler gauge and there was a couple thou gap even though there was decent thermal paste transfer it needs to be flush. You have to be careful the stand offs are not too long.

To fix this issue I flipped the T2 mounting brackets and it cut the required standoff hight by 70% and allowed for better torque and fitment on the CPU.

Guys looking at this I think I'm going to just change my cpu cooler and I was wondering is anyone using an aftermarket 2070S with the 460w model as i plan to get an asus blower 2070S

@Gummy67 I'm pretty sure that GPU requires a way bigger PSU. Along the lines of a 650-700W...

• Isn't there a 2070s model? For the g5 5090

@m1k3_13  - I tightened til there was good tension and a tiny bit of bend in the CPU cooler "legs". I gave it a wiggle to ensure it was all tensioned nicely and no chance of moving. I never use a powered screwdriver for work like this, too much risk of over tensioning IMHO. 

@HotDogSlushie - I was talking about @m1k3_13 's 100deg issues

@Gummy - I have the 2070Super model with i7-9700, it runs the Dell OEM 460W PSU as supplied. Haven't had any issues.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi,

For those interested in a plug and play solution. The new arctic i13x (not the regular 13) cpu cooler is plug and play, no need to buy extra washers and bolts. You just remove the stock cooler, apply the washers and screw in the supplied studs and mount the cooler. The first time you boot up you get the diagnostic error but every boot thereafter goes fine (warm, cold) except when you enter the bios or press f12.

CPU temperature is +/- 70°C with 100 % CPU and 99% GPU. You can go lower but than you have to control the fan speed yourself (like with a voltage regulator). With the fan at 2000 rpm (max) I get +/- 60°C.

Here is a video of the installation of the cooler:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF0DVp6Y4Vw

I still wasn't satisfied with my cpu temps as I was hitting extremely high temps on full load while running the Dell support Assist Hardware test . 

I removed the T2 cooler, wiped down the old paste with isopropyl, reapplied new Arctic Thermal paste. Screwed down the cooler as much as i can evenly and still my temps are about 95C when running support assist Stress test. I remove the front fan and the other fan (behind the cooler) as they were not doing anything for temps. All i have is the 92mm Arctic exhaust fan and the CPU T2 cooler fan and my temps are still way to high. I now isolated the problem as i know its nothing to do with airflow as i removed the front 80mm intake fan...I really do think its the CPU cooler thats not really cooling my pc on full load but i have no other ideas. The way i mounted the cooler is with 4 M3 x 10mm screws with 4 M4 washers. I mounted them in a cross pattern to distribute the thermal paste evenly. Anyone have any further ideas? 

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor