Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

6 Posts

January 29th, 2020 15:00

Inspiron not playing audio from laptop over HDMI

Hi,

I have gone through the FAQs and everything is up to date on my AIO 5477.

I am using a Dell Latitude to send HDMI over to the 5477.   However while the visual display works fine there is no audio.

Can anyone help me?

6 Posts

January 29th, 2020 17:00

But I am using the AIO as a monitor only via the HDMI in, do the Win10 settings apply?

Anyway it shows  input devices, Microphone and Stereo Mix (2 - Realtek Audio).  this was disabled, I re-enabled it but it did not fix the problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Did you select the correct audio input device on the Win 10 Sound screen?

6 Posts

Yes.

Dell laptop works fine when connected to a TV, I get video and audio.

But when it or a Mac laptop are connected to the Dell AIO there is no audio, only video.

Dell AIO audio works fine on its own.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

In Win 10 you have to select the audio input device. Did you look at that Sound screen on the AIO?

EDIT: The laptop has to be connected and powered on...

6 Posts

January 30th, 2020 09:00

I am using Inspiron as my output device when I connect another device in like a Latitude or a Macbook Pro.   Your email is for when I connect the Inspiron out to another device like a TV.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 30th, 2020 09:00

Audio output must be set in control panel.

If you are not getting any sound when you connect your computer to an HDMI display, you may need to change the setting for the playback device. Use the instructions below to select the HDMI source as the default audio device.

a) Press Windows key + X
b) Click on "Control Panel"
c) With the Control Panel in "Control Panel Home" view please click on "Hardware and Sound"
d) Where it says "Sound" in green letters there are three options below that are in blue click on "Manage Audio Devices"
e) This will bring up a window labeled "Sound"
f) On the "Playback" tab there is listed the sound options available to you. One should read "Digital Output Device (HDMI)" Click on that.
g) There should now be a check mark on that option, make HDMI sound output as default .
h) The Sound should then play through your HDMI hookups to the TV.

No Events found!