Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

March 2nd, 2018 19:00

Keyboard and Mouse not responding

Hi everyone :)

I’ve been having problems recently with my usb keyboard and mouse. They were working perfectly fine up until about two days ago. We have gone through 3 mice, one of which is brand new and wireless. We have a Dell Inspiron 620 Desktop PC with an Intel Core i5-2320 Processor.

I can’t be too sure about what we have or haven’t recently installed on the computer as it is a family PC. I think it would also be worth mentioning that since neither keyboard nor mouse work, we are unable to get past the picture screen that comes up before you are able to actually log in.

I have searched for any answers on different forums and videos, but none of them seem to help. I have read one post that said something similar to my issue, but the answer only said something about fluid from a part on the motherboard, and we don’t really know what to look for.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2018 06:00

There was a recent Microsoft Windows (not something Dell did) update that has caused this on many. 

Here is the suggested fix from Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091240/usb-devices-may-stop-working-after-installing-the-february-13-2018-upd

3 Posts

March 8th, 2018 14:00

Sorry for bothering you again, but when I enter the recommended code from the Microsoft website, I only get a message that says “Error: 1639
The command line is missing a required servicing command.”

Please note that I have tried this time and time again, even going as far as trying the 32-bit code, with the same results.

Thank you and I apologize again >.<

3 Posts

March 8th, 2018 14:00

Sorry for bothering you again, but when I enter the recommended code from the Microsoft website, I only get a message that says “Error: 1639
The command line is missing a required servicing command.”

Please note that I have tried this time and time again, even going as far as trying the 32-bit code, with the same results.

Thank you and I apologize again.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 8th, 2018 17:00

That error means you probably mis-typed the command. Are you including all the spaces in the right places?

dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename;Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17

There should be one  space right before every  / in the command, and no spaces after the /
There are two ~ in a row near the right end of the command

Type the entire command on a single line, before pressing Enter.

NOTE: I had to replace the : after /packagename in the command typed above with a ; because the forum software replaces colon-P with a smiley. There won't be any ; in the command you type.

If you get an error message again, press the up-arrow key in the CMD window to re-enter the command that you typed. Use the arrow keys to move along the line to correct any errors. Be sure to move the cursor all the way to the right end of the command before pressing Enter.

35 Posts

March 8th, 2018 20:00

I had that tonight as well.

I left it on and eventually it "came to".

Just read this was due to a MICROSOFT update???

Using win 10 (all the UNwanted MS updates b/c I cannot turn them off).

Good luck. I noticed they're selling brand new PCs with windows 7. FWIW

:Smile:

P.S. I have an XPS 8910; with the DREADED win10 (Which has practically killed me).

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 10th, 2018 17:00

@_XtanyaX_wrote:

I had that tonight as well.

I left it on and eventually it "came to".

Just read this was due to a MICROSOFT update???

Using win 10 (all the UNwanted MS updates b/c I cannot turn them off).

Good luck. I noticed they're selling brand new PCs with windows 7. FWIW

:Smile:

P.S. I have an XPS 8910; with the DREADED win10 (Which has practically killed me).

If you left it on for a while and PC "fixed itself", it's possible Windows Update automatically downloaded and installed Microsoft's new update that's supposed to fix mistakes they made in their previous bad  update.

35 Posts

March 11th, 2018 09:00

(This may be a duplicate reply)

Thanx

Their previous bad update would have been WINDOWS10 IMO

Good Luck

No Events found!