Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 24th, 2020 19:00

Keyboard no longer responding

I have a five year old Dell Inspiron PC.  A few days ago the keyboard stopped responding and after checking batteries, drivers etc, I eventually identified that it was the mouse that was the problem and bought a new one - HP though. I plugged the USB dongle into the adjacent port to where the Dell dongle was and all was fine for the first few days but in the last day or so, the keyboard keys seemed to randomly stop responding so that I was forever having to forcefully retype some keys.  After a  bit of research I tried moving the dongle to a different USP port and now te keyboard doesn't respond at all - even back in the original place.  Maybe it wasn't a mouse issue in the first place? Any advice?  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 25th, 2020 14:00

Dell keyboards are not bluetooth.

So you need to buy a wired keyboard.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 25th, 2020 06:00

With a five year old unit, I would just opt for new keyboard or keyboard/mouse combo.  

But, try a reinstall.   With the USB transceiver (dongle) plugged in, go to the Device Manager.  It will probably be listed in the USB section as an unknown device.  If that is the case, uninstall it in the Device Manager and then restart the PC and if its not defective Windows should detect it and reinstall it.   If not listed in the USB, look at a Keyboard entry and if its there do the same uninstall/restart.  If neither works its dead.  But, as noted with a 5 year old its time for a new one.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 25th, 2020 11:00

Can you test this keyboard on a different PC?

2 Posts

July 1st, 2020 01:00

Thanks for all the messages - as it turns out, if I have both dongles installed (that is the original Dell plus the new HP) then the keyboard responds but the original problem of sticky keys has returned. Think it's time for an HP keyboard to match the new mouse. Cheers, Jo

No Events found!