Highlighted
Geoffo2000
1 Copper

New disk full after few weeks

Jump to solution

I have a new Inspiron desktop with both SSD and 1 TB hard drives. I have hardly used it but today I received warnings that the 1 TB drive is nearly full - which matches the figure if I go into its properties. I have run a full anti-virus scan which came up with nothing. Help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
savvy2
4 Tellurium

Re: New disk full after few weeks

Jump to solution
  • it is either really full.
  • or formatted with bunch of tiny partitions.
  • or is infected and full.
  • or the drive is bad.

looking what is there, matters, first.  use disk manager first after smart tests. not explorer ok?

look and see what is there, first. partition wise and drive letter assigned there.?   and which one is full.?

if it all looks ok run a program called, treesize  professional and see what it shows, find the HOGS there.

treesize/

run the trial. 30day free.

I offer this advice, like what I have,  I have a huge  2nd HDD 3TB  (and m.2 boot) that has 7 partitions on it.

each with a unique drive letter for each one, and any can go full,  so as you can see on complex systems.

I need powerful tools to manage it. (I have all data in  partition called DATA, and Video's  another )

this makes backing up data, childs play all in ONE Spot.

see?

But first run Smart tests, then examine closely Disk manager in computer admin,

I am not Dell, I am retired from this industry since 2009,
0 Kudos
3 Replies
savvy2
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

if any hdd act odd,  run full smart tests in the HDD.  crystaldiskinfo, is free, to run

also in disk manager, look at it, does it show full there or some odd things or wrong partition sizes?

no OS stated, but if windows 10,,  look at the disk see if it is full,  and look at 2 things, ( sizes, capacity and actual)

and does that  DMan show healthy on all partitions?

SSD ok,  1TB hDD not ok.

so run full HDD tests, first.  that is always first. first.

0 Kudos
savvy2
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution
  • it is either really full.
  • or formatted with bunch of tiny partitions.
  • or is infected and full.
  • or the drive is bad.

looking what is there, matters, first.  use disk manager first after smart tests. not explorer ok?

look and see what is there, first. partition wise and drive letter assigned there.?   and which one is full.?

if it all looks ok run a program called, treesize  professional and see what it shows, find the HOGS there.

treesize/

run the trial. 30day free.

I offer this advice, like what I have,  I have a huge  2nd HDD 3TB  (and m.2 boot) that has 7 partitions on it.

each with a unique drive letter for each one, and any can go full,  so as you can see on complex systems.

I need powerful tools to manage it. (I have all data in  partition called DATA, and Video's  another )

this makes backing up data, childs play all in ONE Spot.

see?

But first run Smart tests, then examine closely Disk manager in computer admin,

0 Kudos
Geoffo2000
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Savvy2

Thanks for your response, the disk is full. I downloaded Treesize as you suggested and it turned out a SQL Server database transaction log had grown to 890 Gb so I think that's the cause of the problem!

Thanks again.

0 Kudos