Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 17th, 2018 16:00

New motherboard reinstall of Windows 10

I have a Dell Inspiron 2330 all in one out of warranty. Originally came with Windows 8 and have since updated to Windows 10. Well it would not post and had to replace motherboard and reinstall Windows 10. Of course Windows will not activate since it is a new motherboard. The PC also did not come with an OEM sticker for Windows and the key is unrecoverable as the old motherboard would not post. I called up and said there was nothing Dell could do and a new purchase (over 100 dollars) of Windows 10 was needed. Am I not even given the choice to go back to Windows 8 with license key for 8? This is unfair. Your motherboard went bad and believe I should be given at the very least a license key for Windows 8, the possibly by supplying that to Microsoft they would honor my upgrade back to Windows 10. Bad business Dell if this is true!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 18th, 2018 03:00

If you had Windows 10 and the "digital entitlement" (e.g. log on with a Microsoft user name) Win 10 will reauthorize.  I did this on my own system - I built a new desktop but reused the OS drive.  It booted up and when I signed into Win 10 it automatically activated the new system.

Post your Win 10 activation issue on the www.tenforums.com  someone there probably can get you going again.

21 Posts

January 18th, 2018 11:00

You also changed the motherboard?

21 Posts

It was my friends PC. Pc would not start with old hard drive then we bought a new hard drive and then wouldn’t post. Trouble shot it to mobo. New mobo worked but Dell would not even supply a Windows 8 key. Microsoft said if we supplied the Windows 8 key they would activate 10

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

If you replaced the old motherboard with the same board, why did you reinstall Windows?

You should have just booted up the new board from the OS version already on the hard drive.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

If you have non activated windows installed then download Showkeyplus.

If you don't have any windows installed then boot from WIN10 media and say I dont have a key.  Then install Then download and run showkeyplus to read the bios key.

Write Down the Key and then do the change product key option while online. To change Windows 10's product key using Control Panel.
Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select System.

Click the Change product key link under the Windows activation section.
Type the 25-digit product key for key in the bios.
Click Next to complete the process.

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases/tag/ShowkeyPlus

https://youtu.be/odx2C_UcWMw

21 Posts

Also could not boot with old O/S drive as it was bad too

21 Posts

Because I replaced the drive with. 2TB drive. The Windows activation is stored in the motherboard not the hard drive. Anyone can buy a brand new hard drive and reinstall windows and will activate. Done it on many different PC’s myself. Changing the mobo will cause Windows not to recognize the PCas having a licensed version of Windowd

21 Posts

January 18th, 2018 12:00

Also my friend didn’t have a Microsoft account. If he did and signed in with new mobo it probably would have activated

21 Posts

January 18th, 2018 12:00

Won’t work if the motherboard won’t even post. Belarc Advisor used to do that

21 Posts

January 18th, 2018 13:00

Have no idea how to install it amddon't trust it. Thanks anyway

21 Posts

January 18th, 2018 14:00

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

1. CPU
  2. TPM
  3. Motherboard replacement

The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

1. HDD/SSD
  2. Video card
  3. Adding extra memory

If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10

This is from Microsoft. So when we called Microsoft they said they need the key or a new key from Dell. Dell said they could not supply a key ans so my friend is out 110 dollars for a new key!

21 Posts

January 20th, 2018 08:00

Since Windows 8 or 8.1 the key is embedded in the UEFI BIOS. Changing a hard drive will usually have no effect on reactivating Windows but a new motherboard will not work UNLESS you have a Microsoft account with the old key registered in your account. When you sign in the PC with newly installed it may activate, if not you have to call Microsoft to explain the situation and they will manually do it for you. If Dell will not provide the old or a new Windows 8 key we have no proof the PC ever had valid license and if Dell will not help I guess we are out of luck. Thanks Dell. Ill never buy a Dell product after this. They were no help at all.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 21st, 2018 03:00

The issue here is that the Inspiron 2330 shipped with both Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 8.x Home...

This means that some of the motherboards shipped with a MSDM (unique 25 digit product key embedded in the UEFI BIOS). There would have been an external sticker on your case like shown:
Win8Home

While others a COA (which would have been a print out affixed to the case) and a SLIC 2.1. If your motherboard had the later your key is lost to you.

Windows 7 COA

All is not lost however and you can get back to an activated Windows 10 Home for Free using the SLIC Version of 2.1 but it requires some workarounds... First install Windows 10 without a key and then install a program called RWEverything:

http://rweverything.com/

Select Access and then ACPI Tables. Look for a MSDM tab and a SLIC tab:

msdm

slic

If you have the MSDM you can use this with WIndows 10 Installation Media directly (although Windows 10 Instalaltion Media should automatically pick it up). Assuming you don't and only have the SLIC 2.1 you must first install Windows 7 Home Premium (you'll need up to date installation media to do this and you'll need to adjust your UEFI BIOS settings) and Activate using Dell OEM System Locked Preinstallation. Then you must install the drivers and connect to the internet. Then from Windows 10 Installation Media you can use the GatherOSState.exe to generate a genuineticket.xml file which you can use with a Clean Install of Windows 10 to Activate.

I have guides on all these steps. To Download Windows 7 see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-dell-skylake-windows-7/ 

To Install see here (the notes on UEFI are given):

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/windows-7-installation/

To install drivers see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/driver-installation/ 

Note since you'll be installing Home Premium you'll need to follow the additional workarounds and also update the installation media. 

To Download Windows 10 see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-rs2-version-1703-build-15063-creators-update-direct-download-links/

To generate the Genuine Ticket see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/the-initial-clean-install-of-windows-10-using-a-faded-windows-7-oem-coa/

To Clean Install Windows 10 see here (the notes on UEFI are given):

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/clean-installing-windows-10-rs2version-1703creators-update-with-uefi-and-secure-boot/

21 Posts

January 21st, 2018 15:00

No thanks. Dell should just supply a a new key.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 22nd, 2018 02:00

Dell do not have the ability to give out OEM keys without associated new hardware and do not keep a record of Windows 7 COAs. The way Microsoft have setup the OEM agreement with Dell is that Dell would have to replace the motherboard with one that has a MSDM table (Windows 8.x OEM SLP Key). Dell are only going to replace motherboards for in warranty systems... The cost for out of warranty support is likely on par with the cost to buy a new Retail Key...

OEM Licensing isn't perfect and the user often gets stuck between the OEM and Microsoft. I've been helping out on the forums for a while and hence put together the elaborate workarounds, you could say my entire "Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide" was brought together because of the need for workarounds for Windows OEM Licensing and Windows OEM Installation Media.

Having said that you are unlucky with this model as it was one of the last models that Microsoft allowed Dell to sell with Windows 7 Home Basic/Home Premium/Ultimate. Meaning some motherboard variants shipped with Windows 7 and hence had no MSDM table and you just so happened to replace your motherboard with one of these.

All newer systems will ship with a MSDM for all motherboard as Windows 7 Pro from that point forward was only made available via downgrade rights.

No Events found!