Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2018 01:00

No boot device available error Inspiron 530 Windows 7

Hello!

My computer worked fine. I recently tried to format and re-install windows 10 64 (Bit) onto my HDD and catastrophic failure occurred. Here's what I did:

I flashed a USB using Rufus and installed the ISO as a GPT Partition Scheme for UEFI with a Large FAT32 File system. I could not get the Inspiron to boot to my USB so I put the HDD in a bench and formatted it accordingly. Once windows 10 installed properly and was on the desktop, I popped it back into the Dell, and now I get the Error "No Boot Device Avilable" I theorize it has something to do with the way I installed windows?

Things I've tried:

Putting the HDD in every Sata slot

Checked the boot order, HDD is number one.

Disabled Floppy Disk

Uninstalled every other SATA component

Changed the drive from IDE to RAID and back

The drive works fine, because it boots in the bench. The Sata cable works fine, but for some reason this computer doesn't register it as a bootable device.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it because it's windows 10? Is it because its 64 bit? Is it because I installed windows on a test bench? I'm out of ideas here boys. Help me out!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 7th, 2018 09:00

The Inspiron 530 is a Legacy Model. When using Rufus use the MBR partition scheme and NTFS otherwise the Bootable USB will not be recognised by this model.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 7th, 2018 03:00

The I530 is NOT a UEFI BIOS.  You will have to format the drive for MBR, not GPT to work.

March 7th, 2018 13:00

"Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide"

Such a fitting title...

The MBR and NTFS on the usb allowed it to be booted. Everything installed great. I really appreciate it Philip.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 8th, 2018 05:00

You're welcome, thanks for writing back to let us know your install was successful. :)

No Events found!