Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

12 Posts

May 30th, 2021 10:00

Occasional keyboard and mouse lag

Inspiron 5490 AIO with a Dell wireless mouse and keyboard. Windows 10. 1-year-old.

From the very beginning occasionally the keyboard and mouse start to lag. Starts with a very slow response and ends up with no response at all. The only cure is to either reboot or sticking the USB plug into another port. After a while (maybe days, weeks) the same thing happens.

- ran Dell diagnostics
- updated all drivers
- removed the USB controller driver and reinstalled it
- received a new keyboard and mouse from Dell.

I don't know what to do. How can proof to tech service that I have the error? How can I return it as I can't show what's not working as 99% of the time it works.   

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 30th, 2021 17:00

Why did you wait so long?

Since you're way beyond the 30-day return period, that's not going to happen. And if you're beyond 1-year from Dell's invoice date, not delivery date, your warranty has expired.

Which CPU do you have, and how much memory (RAM)?

Are you running Dell Update, Dell SupportAssist, etc in the background? If they're listed on the Startup tab in Task Manager, disable them and reboot. Run the PC for a while to see if that helps.

Have you scanned thoroughly for malware with something like Malwarebytes (free)?

Could also be a Power plan settings issue in Win 10, but first see if disabling those apps in Task Manager helps or not. Otherwise, you won't know what is causing the problem.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 31st, 2021 07:00

The usb ports are different. Make sure you are using the correct one with wake up support. From the manual--

• One USB 2.0 port with Power on/Wake-up support
• One USB 3.1 Gen 1 port
• One USB 3.1 port with Power on/Wake-up support
• One USB 3.1 Gen 1 port with PowerShare
• One USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type-C) port

Support for Inspiron 5490 AIO | Documentation | Dell US

12 Posts

May 31st, 2021 09:00

Why did I wait so long? because I don't know how to show it to somebody. I can't reproduce the lag. It just happens randomly. Sometimes I can go for a week without issues. Typically right after a reboot everything is fine for a while.

I will try to disable the Dell apps. Will see if it changes anything.

I have an extended warranty from Costco but I need to show the problem.

12 Posts

May 31st, 2021 09:00

Didn't know that. Although I don't have a wake up or power on issue I will try it and plug the USb receiver into One USB 2.0 port with Power on/Wake-up support.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 31st, 2021 10:00

@Varianti  Try what I suggested first, since those apps have been known to cause short mouse/keyboard lags on other PC models.

If that doesn't help, we can try adjusting the Windows Power settings for USB devices...

12 Posts

May 31st, 2021 14:00

@RoHe OK,the show disabled. I will check next week if the problem is gone.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 31st, 2021 15:00

@Varianti  Let us know what happens, either good or not...

12 Posts

June 6th, 2021 08:00

@RoHe so far so good. at least we didn't experience any mouse lag last week. My wife only complaints that the keyboard got sometimes 'stuck' in a lag and auto typed 'eeeeeeeee' instead of 'e'. I didn't see that myself so I will continue to monitor.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 6th, 2021 15:00

You might need to replace that keyboard if the "e" key gets stuck.

At the least, turn it over and give it a couple of good slaps on the back and a few hard shakes in case somebody accidentally dropped cookie crumbs etc down inside...

Also confirm that the Windows "sticky keys" feature isn't enabled.

12 Posts

June 19th, 2021 12:00

@RoHe Still OK and didn't see the mouse stick. Keyboard is probably just not a good one as it is or it's my typing... Thanks for the help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 19th, 2021 19:00

@Varianti  Sounds like you got the problem resolved, but get yourself a nice keyboard.

OEM keyboards aren't the greatest pieces of hardware...

12 Posts

July 17th, 2021 09:00

Today my keyboard acted up again. Not taking keystrokes. Lagging 5 seconds then typing 4-6 same characters of the same type. Rebooting solved the issue. I'm at a loss. It worked for over a month and now this again.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 17th, 2021 12:00

Could still be a bum keyboard...

Is it always the same app causing these problems?

Try running these commands:
At desktop, open a CMD prompt window, Run as administrator

At the prompt, type in: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press Enter
Be sure to include one space in front of each / and note any error messages when that's done. (You can copy/paste the commands in this thread directly into the CMD prompt window.)

Assuming no errors and back at the CMD prompt, type in: sfc /scannow and press Enter.
Be sure to include one space in front of the / and note any errors when that's done.

Hopefully both will say "successful".

Have you scanned thoroughly for malware recently? Malwarebytes (free version) is a good tool for that.

12 Posts

July 18th, 2021 17:00

Did the restore health and it ran succesfully.

sfc found errors and repaired them. Second run was 100%. Restarting now as it still doesn't work.

After reboot it' working again. Running both scans again. First one 100% and second one 100%.scan1.JPG

scan2.JPG

Now I'm waiting again and will see what happens. Thanks for now.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 19th, 2021 10:00

Hope the problem is solved now. Keep us posted...

No Events found!