Inspiron Desktops

Last reply by 06-22-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
1 Copper
1 Copper

Performance Issue

I have a Dell Inspiron 3880 desktop that runs extremely slowly when I am online. My connection speeds are fine, however the computer performs so slowly it is virtually unusable. Letters appear long after they are typed etc. I use this machine for my business and this issue causes repeated disruptions. I have been using Dell technical support and at best they only resolve the issue for a brief period of time and then in returns. I have been in contact with them over and over to no avail. The machine has never run properly since I received it and it is very frustrating. I have been a loyal Dell customer for decades, but at this point I am thinking of abandoning the brand and buying a new machine. I hate to give up on this PC, when it is working properly it is a pleasure to use.  

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

SKCam,

Tech support did a limited reinstall of Windows 11 that didn’t erase data. The PC seems to be running better now.

Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

View solution in original post

Replies (4)

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

10 Diamond

Are you saying this delay only happens when using a browser, but not in -for example- Microsoft Office, etc? Is this a recent issue or always been this way?

Have you tried a different browser? And/or disabled all add-ins (extensions) installed in the browser?

Version of Windows?

What CPU and how much RAM in this PC?

Are you using onboard Intel Graphics or an add-in video card? If PC has an add-in video card, the monitor should be connected to that card, not to any of the onboard Intel Graphics ports. See the pic here for the location of Intel Graphics and add-in video card ports.

How is PC connected to your router/model, via Ethernet or WiFi?

What do you mean by "connection speeds"? The speed the PC is downloading from the internet or the "Link Speed" that your PC is talking with the router/modem?

Have you tried disabling SmartByte software that Dell installed on this PC, so it can't load every time you reboot the PC?

What other unessential apps are running in the background, eg, Dell SupportAssist, SupportAssist Remediation Service, Dell Update, Dell Command, etc?

What are you using for anti-malware protection, Windows Defender, McAfee, Nortion, or...?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

3 Argentum

Also -- is the problem intermittent, or constant?

If you have integrated graphics, there is (still!) a bug in the driver that can cause performance issues and instability. Check Task Manager's Processes tab and see if the "Desktop Window Manager" task (aka dwm.exe) is bigger than about 100MB. (In general, it's a good idea to check here plus the Performance tab, to see if any of the graphs are pegged.) Intel has an updated driver that fixes this problem.

SKCam,

Tech support did a limited reinstall of Windows 11 that didn’t erase data. The PC seems to be running better now.

Find your Service Tag

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor