Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

27 Posts

May 11th, 2018 16:00

Pre-purchase Question: Migrating Boot Drive to SSD?

I'm looking to buy my in-laws a new computer. Their needs are quite modest, so they don't need a high-powered machine, which is why I'm posting this in the Inspiron forum. However, I would like to get them a fast SSD for improved performance. I have a couple of SSD-related questions:

1. Oftentimes, there are really good specials available on specific machines that only come with a simple HDD. I've migrated HDD boot drives to SSDs before, but usually they were just a single partition. Is it possible to migrate everything, including recovery partitions (or whatever Dell puts on the original drive) so that it's indistinguishable from the original drive? Does this impact the warranty?
  2. I've used SATA and mSATA SSDs before, but not the newer form factors that allow for really fast SSD speeds (faster than SATA). How do you use these with an Inspiron or Vostro or XPS? Are they small cards that simply get plugged in (like mSATA) or are they large cards that get installed in the PCIe slots? What do I need to look for in the specs to ensure that I have the option of installing a superfast boot drive? Do I need to be concerned about power draw?

Bonus question: If my in-laws only use the computer for basic web-surfing (i.e., lots of chrome tabs open, but no gaming, etc.), what kinds of upgrades give the best bang-for-the-buck, both for now and to delay obsolescence later? E.g., is it better to move from an i3 processor to an i5? Or is that money better spend moving from 4GB RAM to 8GB or 16GB RAM? Will more cores really matter? I just don't have a good sense of which will impact performance the most for their use case.

Thanks for any help! 

2.3K Posts

May 12th, 2018 12:00

Hello! Using migration software like Acronis True Image or something similar, they normally have an automated option for HDD to SSD cloning which will clone the entire drive, partitions and all so you don't have to worry about doing it partition at a time. Depending on what laptop or desktop you get, it most likely will come with an M.2 Slot which will at least be SATA 3 compatible. The NVMe version which is the super fast version you mentioned will cost you more and for your in-laws prob ably not be worth it as it will be a smaller size. Get an i5 processor and at least 8GB of RAM as Windows 10 in my opinion is kinda bloated. An i5 is like a nice sized sedan vs an i3 being like a compact car and 8GB should be the minimum these days.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 12th, 2018 12:00

Acronis True Image is not free. However, the popular Macrium Reflect does have a free version for home use.  It can clone drives, and in fact I recently used it on my Inspiron 15 laptop when I installed a larger M.2 SSD.  Just remember you need to clone the entire drive, not just the "C" partition.  A caution on cloning, some in depth testing by one of the software gurus on the sevenforums.com resulted in "clone works for some does not for others and thus a hit or miss".  If the clone operation fails, you will have to make a full disc image (all partitions) of the Dell supplied drive and then "restore" to the new SSD.  Macrium Reflect will also handle that.

Whether you clone or use a disc image to a larger drive, the "C" partition will only be the same size as the smaller drive.  There will be an unused partition that is the remainder of the new drive.  A program such as the free "Mini Tool Partition Wizard" will allow you to recover the unused space so you have full use of the new larger drive.

Macrium Free:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Mini Tool Partition Wizard (Free):

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

27 Posts

May 13th, 2018 21:00

beamermt79 and fireberd--

Thank you for your responses...both were very helpful!

No Events found!