Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

September 3rd, 2022 06:00

Resetting Dell Pc

I purchased Dell Inspiron 3670 on 24/07/2019 ( out of warranty now ) and was pre-installed with with Windows 10 Home and did a free upgrade to Windows 11 on 18/02/2022...everything went smoothly.

My first question is... if had to do a pc reset...would this take the pc back to Windows 10 Home ie factory default with Dell

OEM appications ie Support Assist and other Dell programs ?

Second question...if i download a fresh Windows 11 via Media Creation Tool would this install a fresh copy of Windows 11

without 3rd party applications and programs which i have install and will not have Dell applications either.

Another matter would be the license key as Dell OEM key is different from Microsoft one....surely i don't have to purchase

Microsoft key to activate a fresh installation of Windows 11 ?

I have seen on Dell Update Check an option to download all drivers after fresh installation of Windows...would this be referring to Windows 10 after reset .

And does Dell OS Recovery Tool do anyway...is this do with Windows 10 again ?

Thank you

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

September 3rd, 2022 08:00

Briefly a factory reset would take you back to Windows 10. The media creation tool will create a bootable Windows 11 flash drive. With it you can clean install Windows 11 without Dell and 3rd party apps. It will be a clean OS and you can decide which programs to install. Your Windows 11 will autoactivate using the key your system already has, you do not have to purchase another key.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2022 18:00

Will you even be able to do a factory reset to Win 10 after the update to Win 11? The Win 11 update may/probably inactivated access to the Win 10 factory reset image.

It's likely a clean Win 11 install will also install all the drivers you need via Windows Update.

Whatever Dell apps you may want can be downloaded and installed for free from here for Win 11. Of the ones listed, the only one you may actually want/need is Waves MaxxAudio Pro which is the sound controller Dell uses on this PC model. IMO, you don't want StartByte.

If Dell also bundled Roxio or Cyberlink software with your PC, you may be able to download one of those for free from the Microsoft store, but you'll probably have to provide your Dell Service Tag before you can start the download.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 3rd, 2022 23:00

@Purity777 

@RoHe 

@JOcean 

Dell recovery will not overwrite WIN11 install.

You would have to make WIN10 USB flash and DELETE all partitions and Reformat drive to blank.

The Dell Windows Applications Like Cyberlink Software ARE available but you don't need to enter your service tag.  They use WMI from within windows to tell. So you cant fake that.

DELL Applications Microsoft Windows Store

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

September 4th, 2022 09:00

It depends what you want, but you can go either way here. It's hard for me to say with real conviction because I don't have a spare system to try it out on... but I believe this is the case:

Your system shipped with two recovery environments: Windows' own (generic Win 10) and Dell's (Win 10 plus drivers, software etc.) Your upgrade to Windows 11 upgraded the Windows recovery environment but left the Dell one alone. So... if you "Reset this PC" from Settings>System>Recovery, you get Windows 11; if you run SupportAssist OS Recovery from the preboot menu, you get Windows 10. You don't absolutely need the recovery partition(s) present to do these steps. In either case you can opt to download the recovery image on demand: "Reset this PC" from Microsoft, SupportAssist from Dell. In the latter case it will certainly reformat the entire drive.

As stated above you can also build installation media and reinstall Windows 11 (or even Windows 10, if you want). Typically you'd delete all the existing partitions on the drive at the start, and install in the unallocated space. The Microsoft installation media (or Microsoft recovery image) won't have all the platform-specific drivers, but Windows Update will install most, and you can use Dell SupportAssist/Dell Update to install any stragglers. You should not have any Windows licensing issues with any of these options.

162 Posts

September 27th, 2022 22:00

To get started with a refresh of your computer files, follow these steps:
Click Start , then type "reset."
Select Reset this PC (System Setting).
Under Reset this PC, select Get Started.
Select the option to Keep my files.
Note any apps or drivers that must be reinstalled after the refresh is completed.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

No Events found!