Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2021 03:00

START PXE OVER IPV4 - Help!

Hi,

I have a Dell inspiron PC with 8GB ram and W10. The machine has been bullet proof.

Recently, I decided to upgrade my RAM from 8 to 16 GB. However, when I tried to boot up I experienced the following message; (Black Screen)

START PXE OVER 1PV4 (and then) START PXE OVER IPV6 (and then) Auto Repair (doesn't repair!).

I removed the new memory but the problem continues.  It is sometimes temporarily resolved by switching off the machine and reseating the original memory card from one slot to the other.

Searching on line for a solution, it has been suggested that changes have been made in the Boot Menu that need reconfiguring or that I should disable IPV4 and IPV6 and that will solve the problem.

I’ve tried both of these options and nothing has worked.

Boot Menu order is; SAMSUNG, Ipv4, Ipv6, Windows Boot Manager.

I don’t know what has happened but I’d certainly appreciate a way to resolve it.

Thanks

Steve

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2021 05:00

If you don't want EasyBCD to do it for you, here is the manual entries.  Run Command Prompt as Administrator

BCD C Drive.jpg

28 Posts

November 23rd, 2021 09:00

Hi Fireberd,

Thnaks for the additional info. Its not that I didn't want EasyBCD to do it, its just that I am not clear on exactly how to use it and there does not appear to be a relevant tutorial covering my needs. Specifically, it wasn't clear from the menu which option I actally needed and I was also concerned that if I did change the boot order then the machine would not start, as for some reason it only boots with boot manager in second place. I guess I could always change it back should that happen.. Thanks again. Steve

28 Posts

November 27th, 2021 00:00

Hi Ron,

So this is what happened;

1) Because the machine has been consistently not starting, it has been left on all week.

2) USB stick arrived and medai creation tool downloaded and installed. All very easy.

3) Machine switched off last night and started up this morning. Went straight into auto repair mode. Switched off. Installed USB, hit F12 and in F12 UEFI mode it shows (in order); samsung, wbm, ipv4, ipv6 and then USB. I selected USB and basically nothing happens. USB is fine, but there is no light appearing on the stick to indicate that it is being used. In short, could not start up from this method.

4) Took out USB, unpluggeD machine and opened it up to gain full access, hit the power button and it started right up! Don't understand why this happens, but I'm grateful that it does. Can't see any trapped or damaged cables though, so I'm not sure why it is more likely to start when opened up, than  closed. 

A mystery. What do you think?

Thanks again

Steve 

28 Posts

November 28th, 2021 01:00

HI Ron,

"Sounds like a cable may be pressing against an installed component and unseating it".

Even though this has already been done, I have to agree that the problem could still be in this area. To that end I have reseated every cable and connector and in doing so found that 1 cable to the SSD was looser than I expected. I have cleaned and repositioned that cable to take some of the pressure away from the connection, when the case is closed back up and the machine has restarted twice without concerm.

This can happen though and again in a few days, or even in an hours time the problem could return. However, it would do no harm to replace that cable either.

As for booting from USB, I did enable that option but it didn;t work. Only tried this once and it is there ti try again, should I need it. Not sure what happened, but if all else fails, I will give it another go.

Thanks again for your help, I'll keep you posted.

Kind regards

Steve

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 28th, 2021 20:00

Just replace that cable and be done with it...

28 Posts

November 28th, 2021 23:00

I will. I just hope that it is the cable. If it is, then it must have been a coincidence that it happened when the ram was changed.  However, you can't argue with the fact that the machine tends to work only when the access door is open. I will keep you posted..! Thanks again. Your support has been very much appreciated. Regards Steve.

28 Posts

January 1st, 2022 07:00

Hi Ron,

Just to say, problem solved! Thank you for your time and advice and helping me work the problem. No issues since following your last recommendations. Really pleased. Kind regards Steve

1 Message

June 29th, 2022 07:00

i am facing the same ...HI i got new laptop5420 dell i am trying to install win10 through network no response i tried  through dock also its just show start pxe over ipv4  and shows no bootable devices found could you pls assist me guys

28 Posts

June 29th, 2022 07:00

Hi, sorry to hear. I'm no expert, but the guys who helped me are and if you have a simlar issue I would advise you read through the history saved above as about every option was either discussed or tried here until we found out that the problem was a dodgy cable. One thing I would say though, if its new, get in touch with Dell first. Good luck!

January 4th, 2023 00:00

in the 8910, there is no option to select a USB drive in the F12 menu, or any particular drive . . . I"m having the same problem, cannot boot from SSD, so trying to get it to boot from USB.  Does not boot . . . gets as far as the Dell logo, a very brief moment of circling dots, then black screen

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 4th, 2023 14:00

@charles000 -

1. What size is the USB stick (GB) and is it formatted FAT32?
  2. How did you make the USB bootable?
  3. Are you plugging the bootable USB into PC with power fully off? USB boot option might not appear on F12 menu unless the USB is recognized as a bootable device.
  4. Have you tried enabling Load Legacy OPROM in BIOS setup, if not currently enabled?

January 4th, 2023 18:00

Thanks for the reply . . .
Yes, power off before plugging in USB drv
USB was from microsoft, win 10 download, to create bootable USB, with online tech helping with this
The F12 menu DOES NOT have a boot drive selector option, only allows for legacy / secure boot or alternate choice.

At first, the Dell logo would come up,  could get into F12 menu
The problem now is I can't even get into the F12 menu, the Dell logo does not come up . . .

But then . . .    after many, many tries with every variation possible, I saw a menu for "add file" for boot, so I typed in "setup.exe" . . .  that was probably the last fatality, since then cannot even get as far as the Dell logo appearing onscreen.

This entire debacle started because earlier in the evening,  a microsoft tech told me to download Win 10 update into the system, which I did, but then the computer froze in the process . . . leading up the this situation

5 Practitioner

• 

4.6K Posts

January 4th, 2023 22:00

Maybe you can revive the computer again so don't lose hope yet.  With the age of your computer, be kind to it and change out the coin cell battery, most Dell desktop use a CR2032.  Remember to unplug power and follow safety instruction in the service manual.  With the power and battery remove, it will reset your BIOS, you may have to adjust settings again if needed.

To perform a Windows installation, click here to download creation tool to a good computer and run it to create a Windows USB drive.  Follow instruction and use a USB drive of at least 8gb, the tool will format and making it bootable.  Not knowing the severity of your computer issue and how comfortable your are with working on computer settings, BIOS, drivers, etc...I don't want to ask too many questions so I just provide a general direction.  If you have more information to provide or question you want to ask, just post them here or open your own thread.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 5th, 2023 11:00

See if choosing Legacy from the F12 menu lets you boot from the USB, but you have to enable Load Legacy OPROM in BIOS setup first...

EDIT: And if there's a "Secure Boot" option in BIOS setup, disable that too.

1 Message

December 28th, 2023 15:26

Very grateful for this thread. I'm also having a similar problem with my Dell Desktop XPS 8950.  Upon booting, before windows starts, 

Checking Media Presence

Media Present

Start PXE over IPV4 on MAC: xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

I had not changed anything on my desktop other than remove / connect portable hard drives. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

No Events found!