Inspiron Desktops

Last reply by 06-29-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion

START PXE OVER IPV4 - Help!

Hi,

I have a Dell inspiron PC with 8GB ram and W10. The machine has been bullet proof.

Recently, I decided to upgrade my RAM from 8 to 16 GB. However, when I tried to boot up I experienced the following message; (Black Screen)

START PXE OVER 1PV4 (and then) START PXE OVER IPV6 (and then) Auto Repair (doesn't repair!).

I removed the new memory but the problem continues.  It is sometimes temporarily resolved by switching off the machine and reseating the original memory card from one slot to the other.

Searching on line for a solution, it has been suggested that changes have been made in the Boot Menu that need reconfiguring or that I should disable IPV4 and IPV6 and that will solve the problem.

I’ve tried both of these options and nothing has worked.

Boot Menu order is; SAMSUNG, Ipv4, Ipv6, Windows Boot Manager.

I don’t know what has happened but I’d certainly appreciate a way to resolve it.

Thanks

Steve

Replies (39)

@Art786 wrote:

Gentlemen,

May I ask;

Removing the CMOS battery as described hard resets the motherboard/bios back to default settings?

My SSD was installed as a later upgrade.

Will a hard reset cause problems with how my machine is now configured?

Thanks

Steve

Removing the battery and resetting BIOS will clear out any settings that may have gotten "scrambled" and that forces BIOS to identify all the components that are currently installed.  So it will see your SSD as the installed drive.

You should have the new battery available, so after you clear BIOS you install the fresh one so BIOS will retain the info it gathered when it identified the components.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Thank you again. I'll get another battery and give it a go. Regards  Steve

Hi Ron,

Hard reset complete. I've changed the battery and re checked the cables as much as I can. And so far, so goood. Thank you. It is an intermittent problem, so ill kep an eye on it over the next few days and report back with an update. It would be fantastic if this has resolved the issue!

Thank you Ron and also Fireberd for your help and assistance. It is very much appreciated. 

Kind regards

Steve

8 Krypton

Let's hope that's the end of the problem. Post back in a few days and let us know that things are ok...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Hey Ron,

I was really hoping that this had resolved the problem. And for a few days I thought it had. 

However, this afternoon I switched the machine on only to see it fall back into automatic repair. But the auotomatic repair does not resolve the issue as before.This time around,.I am not getting the IPV4 and IPV6 messages as I disabled them prior to installing a new CMOS battery. One other thing of note and I don't know wther this is coincidence ore not, but the system does not like having windows boot manager is position 1 and won't start (or doesn't appear to) if it is.

However, if I open the machine like before and put Samsung into position 1 (as I did today) it can start up. Either that or reseat the RAM in the other slot. I'm still pretty sure that there are no damaged cables, and I'm not moving the machine when it fails, so I'm still unsure what the problem is.

And all this came from installing and removing some extra RAM! Not sure what to do now, other than leave the machine permantly switched on.

I'd really appreciate another suggestion if you have one?

Regards

Steve

"One other thing of note and I don't know wther this is coincidence ore not, but the system does not like having windows boot manager is position 1 and won't start (or doesn't appear to) if it is."

A BCD repair on the system drive would be a good start to get windows boot manager resolved.

EasyBCD program will do it, or you can manually edit BCD, but give EasyBCD a try.  Set the "C" drive as boot in EasyBCD.

EasyBCD 2.4.0.237 Download | TechSpot

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i9 9900K CPU

Windows 11 64 bit Pro  SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recording Studio Software, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Thank you again Fireberd, I will give it a go. Regards Steve

If I may ask;

Apparently, my machine is booting in EFI mode. I presume that I need to addressing 'change boot drive' screen to set the c drive as boot?

Art786_0-1637422866701.png

Thanks again

Steve

8 Krypton

Yes, C as boot drive.  

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i9 9900K CPU

Windows 11 64 bit Pro  SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recording Studio Software, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Apologies. Coming at this with a frsh set of eyes this morning I'm still a little concerend that having not used this progamme before, I don't know what I am ding. Whilst you have clealy and kindly instructed me to " set C as boot drive" it is not clear to me exactly where I should do this.

For example;

Art786_0-1637483020802.png

In BCD backup/repair (which I presume is the correct option), should I under management options;

(i) Choose 'reset bcd configuration' and change to C drive if required?

(ii) 'recreate/repair boot files' (as repair is what we are doing, after all)?

(iii) Or 'change boot drive and reset to C drive if required?

A little guidance would be really helpful here as I'd be in a diffuclt place if I did something that would not get the machine back up and running!

Thanks again for your time.

Regards

Steve

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions