Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Message

July 6th, 2020 07:00

Strange notification noise with Inspiron 3670 after updates

I bought this computer back in 2018.  I just recently got to all the various and sundry updates that have been available.  Please don't ask me what they were.  I just saw a notification that 7 updates were available, so I clicked on that. Since then, there's been this annoying sound, like a notification or an update, but there are never any red exclamation points letting me know something needs attention, no messages, no notifications.

It does it when the computer is idle and the monitor is dark.  Sometimes it does it once or twice, but this morning it was doing it the whole time I was getting ready for the morning, every few seconds.  Once I touch the mouse, it stops.  

The closest I can come to describing it is 'deedle do, deedle do'.  I checked things running in the background, I've disabled things loading on start up, like Skype.  I don't know what else to do or what to look for.  I was thinking I should go back to the last restore point before the upgrades were loaded and see if that helps.  

Any ideas? TIA

Diane 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 6th, 2020 11:00

If a System Restore doesn't help, or the sounds return after you re-install those same updates, you can try this:

Start>Search>Change system sounds

Click it in the search results. Then go down that list and use the test button on that screen to see if you can figure out which alert is assigned to the sounds you're hearing. That might tell you what's triggering them and point you in the right direction..

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 6th, 2020 11:00

Doing a system restore might be a good place to start, but back up all your personal files on the boot drive (hard disk drive or SSD?) onto external media first, to be safe.

EDIT: Are the sounds coming through your speakers or from inside the PC case?

No Events found!