Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

219 Posts

September 13th, 2020 08:00

SupportAssist Not Installing Properly

Hi. I've got an out of warranty Inspiron 24 5459 AIO, but I have used SupportAssist regularly for years. Somehow, SupportAssist came up missing. I went to Dell Drivers and Downloads, and downloaded SupportAssist for PC's. It seemed to finish installation normally. When I selected Launch, it ground and ground and ground, finally providing this message:

SupportAssist Error Message.png

I've uninstalled it, restarted the computer, reinstalled and still get the same behavior and message. Anybody have any ideas for me on how to get SupportAssist installed and working? Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 13th, 2020 08:00

Try a new install.

Uninstall Support Assist

Delete the download

Restart the PC.

Download a new copy of Support Assist and install it.  Restart the PC and see if this new install works OK.

219 Posts

September 13th, 2020 11:00

OK @fireberd . I did as you said, still not successful. In fact, I did it twice with two different results!!!!! The first time, while it was installing, it placed a SupportAssist shortcut icon on my desktop, but then deleted it before the install completed. Upon install completion, which seemed to be successful, I clicked on Launch. Absolutely nothing happened. I waited a half hour or so. Then I repeated your suggested process. This time I got an install failure:

supportassist install fail.png

So, I followed the instructions, rebooted and tried again. Got same install fail fail message. Any further ideas? 

I noticed one odd thing that I don't understand. On the first install, SupportAssist was an app which I uninstalled from the app list. On the second install, SupportAssist was a program, which I uninstalled from the control panel, and I don't think I did anything differently for the two installs. Got any idea what's going on there?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 13th, 2020 14:00

Here is the link to the previous version.  You can give it a try.

If this doesn't work, I'll try to get another Rockstar to assist.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=wgfxm&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-24-5459-aio

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 13th, 2020 15:00

I presume you have Dell Update installed on this PC too.

Uninstall both Dell Update and SupportAssist. Revo Uninstaller (free) may do a cleaner job of uninstalling them then just using the Windows Add/Remove app.

Then download/install Dell Update for Win 10 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> . After that's installed, download/install SupportAssist Update Plugin.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 13th, 2020 16:00

@shelquis  - Except Dell isn't offering "SupportAssist" on the Support page for this model. They only list Dell Update and the SupportAssist Plug-In.

219 Posts

Hi @RoHe . Since I've already uninstalled the SupportAssist that wasn't launching, I'll need to re-install SupportAssist too, right?

219 Posts

Thanks @fireberd . I clicked on the link you provided, and it seems to be for the SupportAssist Update Plug-in app. I was expecting it to be for SupportAssist. Did I miss something, or is that what you wanted me to try the previous version of?

219 Posts

September 13th, 2020 17:00

@RoHe ,  I've assumed the download from https://www.dell.com/support/contents/en-us/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/supportassist  would be appropriate for my machine since it doesn't say otherwise. Am I wrong?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 13th, 2020 20:00

Don't know, except you did that and it doesn't install/work...

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 14th, 2020 03:00

I thought that was a full version, sorry.   Looks like we are at a standstill with this if Ron doesn't know either.  It looks like all the versions available are "updates" and that is what the problem is.  I  looked at the list for support assist and all are updates.

Dell has a forum section specifically for Support Assist problems and assistance.  Suggest you repost there.

https://www.dell.com/community/SupportAssist-for-PCs/bd-p/supportassist-pcs

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 14th, 2020 10:00

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 16th, 2020 06:00

No new posts, can we assume this has been resolved?

219 Posts

September 16th, 2020 15:00

No, sorry @fireberd . I've been completely consumed with family issues and have not had time to give to this, but I do plan to get back to it. Thanks for asking.

No Events found!