Ma Name Jeff
1 Copper

Trying to upgrade an Inspiron 580 with no GPU

I'm looking to upgrade a Dell Inspiron 580 with a GTX 1050ti GPU, and a 650w PSU. The desktop's hard drive has failed so we are going to replace that as well. Are these parts compatible, and eventually could I upgrade the CPU as well? (The current CPU is an i5-650 3.20Ghz)

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Trying to upgrade an Inspiron 580 with no GPU

@Ma Name Jeff wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade a Dell Inspiron 580 with a GTX 1050ti GPU, and a 650w PSU. The desktop's hard drive has failed so we are going to replace that as well. Are these parts compatible, and eventually could I upgrade the CPU as well? (The current CPU is an i5-650 3.20Ghz)

Looks like you could do that but, the 1050ti must be the short one as the full size one won't fit. You could install something like a EVGA Supernova 750 B1.and best CPU for this system is something like a Intel Core i7 870.

-elpro999

I do not work for dell. I am also a user.

0 Kudos
Ma Name Jeff
1 Copper

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jmfauvel
1 Nickel

So did you get it to work? I'm also looking to upgrade my Inspiron 580 pre-built, but I've been hearing about issues of the 10 series cards with legacy only boards. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

The 580 has AMD chipset and may or may not have "issues" with N V I D I A  video cards.  RX460 might be a better choice.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Jmfauvel
1 Nickel

An Intel board that has AMD chipset? That's news to me. So it was outsourced? My Inspiron 580 came with an NVIDIA GT220 and i5 750.

From what I've been hearing many AMD Radeon manufacturers require UEFI boards to work, such as Sapphire. Which brand, then, would you recommend? I suppose the **bleep**ty PSU from this pre-built should also be replaced?
0 Kudos
Jmfauvel
1 Nickel

So, I ended up going for the MSI RX 460 2GB, since that's what was cheaper on my region and I've witnessed on youtube a person with not only an RX 460 but a Xeon X3470 on the Inspiron 580 mobo. Interesting stuff.

Have also checked out userbenchmarks and it would appear that the DH57M02 doesn't have many compatibility issues with the newer GPUs both from AMD and NVIDIA, since there are setups ranging from AMD's RX and R9 and NVIDIA's 7, 9 and 10 series of GPUs.

0 Kudos