Solved!

Go to Solution

June 30th, 2018 10:00

100 % disk usage and still nothing fixes

I have -

Dell Inspiron 5567

Intel CoreTM i7-7500U

RAM - 16 GB

When i bought my laptop, in starting days it's running quite well but after few days in task manager it shows disk usage 100% with or without any running application so I run my drivers update some of them are updated(i updated according to the order given by DELL on there website) but the disk usage remain 100%, after that i made my windows disc image via MICROSOFT TOOL(on my same computer which have problem and also it's genuine Windows 10) so after successfull disc image i deleted my entire disk data(to get fresh start) and after installation of windows 10, i again visited DELL DRIVER CENTRE to download DRIVERS and I have installed each and every drivers in order as recommend by

DELL SUPPORT

http://www.dell.com/support/article/in/en/indhs1/sln148687/how-to-reinstall-drivers-in-the-correct-order?lang=enand i made single restart after single installation of driver as it required by DRIVERS.

at last i updated every drivers and after that i checked for WINDOWS UPDATE and updated also

now my laptop have updated drivers and windows updated but when i run any software to install or browsing task manager shows 100% disk usage 

then i fully diagnose my laptop by DELL

and after scanning nothing error or issue found 

so i visited dell technical support and followed their instruction as given by their officials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiB6B55c77o

and yes my  AHCI driver is iaSTARA.sys  not storahci.sys , so no issue with AHCI driver 

now i made each and every possible way to get rid off from 100% disk usage

3 Apprentice

• 

546 Posts

December 2nd, 2021 08:00

Replace the hard drive with a solid state drive. I worked on someone's 7 year old Dell Inspiron over the summer, and loading times were extremely slow with the original hard drive, making the computer almost unusable. The hard drive's SMART status was OK, but task manager showed that the hard drive was constantly pegged at 100%, even though the memory usage was normal and the CPU was practically idling. Doing some research on the original hard drive revealed that other people complained about it being extremely slow. After cloning the data over to a Crucial MX500 SSD, disk usage right after logging in dropped to less than 10%, and the computer was much faster and responsive.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

September 29th, 2022 19:00

Alternatively, the steps from Microsoft at this link might help with systems that utilize a hard drive.

24 Posts

August 14th, 2018 19:00

Hello,

I have 2 Dell laptops, a Dell latitude e6400 and a Dell Latitude e4300. I had the same problem 100% disk usage  freezing and very unresponsive, especially the e4300, I even put a new Motherboard in the e4300, still the same thing. This did happen after the windows 10 1803 latest update. I tried many fixes, most had to do with shutting down services, updating drivers, etc, etc. none of them worked. This solution worked for me, no more 100% Disk usage, no longer unresponsive or freezing, faster boot. I don't know if it applies to your situation. I do have BIOS not UEFI. In BIOS I scrolled down to "System Configuration" \ SATA Operation and changed the setting mode from "IRRT" mode (The Default) to "AHCI" mode, and restarted the computer, and reloaded the Operating System ( Windows 10 Pro ). If you don't reload the Operating System your computer won't boot. IMPORTANT ! Make sure you back up your personal files before reloading the Operating System. When you reload the Operating Sysyem Windows automatically configures it for " AHCI " mode.

As I said, I don't have UEFI interface, all my laptops have BIOS. I don't know exactly how UEFI are set up, But you might want to check The Default SATA Operation and see if it is booting to AHCI  Hard Drive mode.

I realize there are other ways to change from "IRRT" mode to "AHCI" mode and they involve registry hacks  and loading drivers. I have tried these types of fixes many times and they caused so many problems that I ended out reloading the Operating System anyway.

I hope this helps

1 Message

September 23rd, 2018 09:00

Same problem. Too bad for Dell. The permomance of my laptop is awful. Pls help!

8 Posts

October 26th, 2018 06:00

hi, 

I went to bios setup and set to default setting and I didn't get what to do next you mean to say that system configuration set to default and then reinstall windows 10

please reply it would be very kind of you

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2019 08:00

Hello stopping the windows search did the trick for me It's an (older) Dell Latitude E6320 with a standard HDD (non-SSD) on which I recently installed windows 10.

July 31st, 2019 03:00

Hi,

Same problem i am facing in my org...please help on this...provide the solution..

Bhaskar B

1 Message

November 23rd, 2019 15:00

I am having the same issue. I cannot believe Dell continues to ship products like this!

November 24th, 2019 03:00

As abellas has suggested stopping windows search might help. Windows search service starts everytime you boot and start indexing by using lot of disk resources.

The only way to solve the issue is to open the task manager and sort the apps under disk column in descending order.

Once you done that check what programs are using the most resources.

Search on google what its about and does stopping it would effect your system in any way.

If antivirus is causing the issue, check its settings anything related to realtime/active. It puts your laptop into a risk but if you are careful when downloading files on the internet it will be fine.

If its windows update, goto settings and select pause windows update(Option is present from may 2019 update).

This is the only way I got rid of 100% disk usage problems before switching to an ssd.

I highly recommend buying an ssd. Even a cheap ssd can make a lot of difference.

2 Posts

August 18th, 2021 10:00

Hello, returning BIOS to factory defaults solved this problem for my model 5570.  At the "Dell" screen during boot hit F2 to go into the BIOS program.  Then there's a button to restore BIOS.  This solved the issue of 100% disk usage.  A little later, something decided to upgrade my BIOS but fortunately this didn't cause the problem to return.  I hope this helps someone.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 18th, 2021 12:00

Guys Disk usages was a known Bug with windows 1909 build 

Microsoft ran a lot unnecessary services and their indexing (search ) service SuC#s 

Now the reasons could be very different Here are the solutions which have worked for me different models. 

1. (optional) Use an SSD, things like indexing completes very quickly in SSDs causing disk usage to go low. 

2. Windows update : Microsoft's windows 10 update mechanism doesn't wait for your consent to install something, Ensure you check for updates, Reboot and check for updates and reboots. Until machine says up to date. Most of high disk usages are resolved in latest 21H1 build 

3. Disable Indexing (search services) :  Start > Run > Services.msc. Find a service called windows search Double Click and choose Startup type as disabled

XPS_Man_0-1629315427030.png

3. In the same services window Disable Windows Error reporting the same way 

4. Open Settings > System > Notifications & actions  and turn off the notifications. 

XPS_Man_1-1629315540444.png

5 Open settings > Privacy > Diagnostics and Change it to Optional 

XPS_Man_2-1629315595324.png

6 Open Settings > Privacy > Background apps :Disable every app which you don't use 

7 Open Task manager > Startup and disable every app which you don't use, Leave Wavemaxx and Realtek audio enabled. 

Reboot 

OPTIONAL : While doing a setup of a new computer or a new user or a complete reinstall of windows make sure you turn all these off before clicking on Accept. 

XPS_Man_3-1629315830734.png

December 2nd, 2021 08:00

It's not a Windows 10 1909 issue, 1909 was released in November 2019, this thread started in 2018. There is another thread from 2017 about the same issues. And as of this writing, I have a machine running 20H2 that has had 100% disk usage for over an hour that none of the tips you provided did anything.

It's a Dell issue using junk parts and installing intrusive bloatware that eats up system resources. I work on machines from multiple PC manufacturers, including HP, Dell, Lenovo, Microsoft, Boxx, Eluctronics, Acer and on and on. The only manufacturer that I have had this issue with is Dell, including high end Alienware machines. Generally the only solution I have found to work is uninstall all Dell software except Command Update.

I find it remarkable that Dell can't take responsibility for the junk parts they sell and the only solution they provide is to disable Windows services instead of fixing the issue with better hardware or fixing their preinstalled software. But they gotta get that all mighty user data to sell right?

No Events found!