Highlighted
Freza
1 Copper

2-in-1s: XPS 13 or Inspiron 13 7000?

• Total budget and country of purchase: £900-ish, UK

• Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. 2-in-1, minimum 8th Gen i5, minimum 6hrs battery life

• How important is weight and thinness to you? 6/10

• Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows for sure

• Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 12-13, can stretch to 14

• Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. No intense workloads, mostly programming and browsing for uni

• If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Will be used for casual gaming, but option for use with external GPU would be handy.

• Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Backlit keyboard, metal body, and Microsoft Ink Support

• Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

Narrowed down my choices to the new XPS 13 2-in-1 and the new Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1. I can get them both with i5s, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SDD which are what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure which one I'd benefit from more.

The Inspiron has an 8250U which is more powerful than the 8200Y in the XPS, the tradeoff being better battery life in the XPS. However the XPS has an NVMe SSD and Thunderbolt support meaning I could use an external GPU encolsure which would be handy.

With the current discounts, I can get the Inspiron for £740 and the XPS for £890. Would I miss the performance difference between the CPUs and is an NVMe SSD and Thunderbolt support worth the extra £150? Thanks

0 Kudos