Highlighted
MSCII
2 Iron

32 bit version of Windows 10

Is it possible to install Window 10 32bit on the Inspiron 11 3162/3164?

My Inspiron 11 3162 currently has Windows 10 Home 64-bit installed to its 32GB eMMC. I would like to downgrade to Windows 10 Home 32-bit, but have had no success.

I'm using an 8GB bootable USB created by Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

I've adjusted Secure Boot / Legacy / UEFI settings in the BIOS. I'm able to reach the setup screen, but unable to format / partition / install to the eMMC.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: 32 bit version of Windows 10

I've never worked with eMMC, but it's possible that eMMC installation requires a UEFI mode installation, and 32-bit Windows versions have never supported UEFI installations.  Out of curiosity though, what are you trying to achieve by downgrading to 32-bit?

0 Kudos
MSCII
2 Iron

Re: 32 bit version of Windows 10

@jphughan wrote:

I've never worked with eMMC, but it's possible that eMMC installation requires a UEFI mode installation

After a lot of trial-and-error, I'm leaning toward this theory.  The motherboard is definitely Legacy-capable, at least to some extend.  But it seems the onboard eMMC drive is not.  Perhaps another model with the same motherboard but SATA drive would have been able to accept a 32-bit OS install.

@jphughan wrote:

Out of curiosity though, what are you trying to achieve by downgrading to 32-bit?

The machine is maxed at 32GB internal storage and 2GB RAM.  A 32-bit OS would result in less storage space dedicated to the OS, and (theoretically) leaner processes.

There's a lot of misinformation concerning 32-bit vs 64-bit Windows online.  I can only speak from personal experience as someone who restoring salvaged PCs.  When compatible, 32-bit provides a smoother Windows experience on weaker hardware.

0 Kudos